I got the unscented version of this flowering tea, and I consider it a good choice, because the flavor is very enjoyable, like a quality tea, and scenting would have changed it. I think the long buds used in this flower are white tea, judging from the taste, liquor color, and steeping performance. Not a hint of astringency or bitterness, and the golden liquor is thick and rich in mouthfeel, aka body. I love a heavy-bodied tea, when the flavor is light.

The pink blossom looks similar to an amaranth flower, but the seller says it’s lychee flower. The pink flower hasn’t risen to the top yet, and watching for it to release is kind of intriguing. Flavor and body maintained through multiple steeps, trailing off at the fourth one. Be sure to use cool enough water for this tea. I poured the water into a 16oz glass pot and waited until it cooled to 175F. I gave the tea flower ball a quick rinse under the faucet and gently placed it on the water. The bloom didn’t sink to the bottom until it had been open a while, but it was worth the wait of a few minutes. I refilled the pot when it was 2/3 empty, letting the hot water run down the side of the pot, so the bloom would be less disturbed. I watched and sipped from this bloom for hours.

It made a good-sized bloom, 3in across. I think this is the best-tasting, sweetest tea I’ve had from a flowering type. I would actually feel good about serving it to a guest. Little to no aroma, but that’s okay in my book, even though I love a good jasmine. It’s just that the scented flowering teas I’ve had didn’t taste so good. I haven’t tried the jasmine-scented version of this bloom which is sold by the same seller. Maybe it could combine the best of all worlds?!

Note: I’m open to offers to swap tea samples. If you can’t message me, just comment on one of my tea notes, and I’ll respond.

I am fascinated and deeply impressed by the artistry and skill which coaxes such an array of qualities from one species of leaf. In 2009, I founded San Antonio Tea & Herb Enthusiasts. For intimate tastings with a small gathering, I’m practicing Asian-style tea service along the lines of Chinese gongfu cha yi. It’s a joy, turning people on to good tea! http://www.meetup.com/SA-Tea-Herb/

The most recent sign of my conversion to the deeply-steeped side: I’ve turned three large file boxes into “tea humidors” for aging pu-erh cakes and bricks at 65% humidity. Remote sensors within the “pumidors” relay the temperature and humidity readings to a base station on my desk.

I write about tea culture for the Examiner online newspaper: http://www.examiner.com/x-49007-San-Antonio-Tea-Examiner

My tea rating system:

0 – 10 … Ugh, throw it out
11 – 20 … Barely drinkable
21 – 40 … Passes for decent tea
41 – 60 … Good but unremarkable
61 – 80 … Delicious cuppa
81 – 90 … Wonder-full !
91 – 100 … The Stuff of Legends !

San Antonio TX USA