drank Puerh by t Leaf T

Something that tastes this bad has GOT to be healthy for you! The entire experience of the tea was frightening – the dry leaves are dark and smell composty, the resulting infusion is almost inky black with the wet leaves looking like something a nightmare left behind. The flavour is very earthy and fungal, but its incredibly smooth – I’ll give it that. Smooth in an awful way though, like a big fat slug sliding down your throat. I also braved it a second time to try with a bit of milk, which really bought out the mushroom within. A lot of people dig that in a tea but I cannot count myself among those who do!

Cofftea

Miss sweet, I had the SAME reaction to pu erh a year ago. But take a look at my tasting notes for the 3 pu erhs I’ve tried in the past few days. The preparation makes all the difference.

Ricky

The description sounds about right. Maybe you just need to start off with some flavored pu-erh. Those are generally weaker.

Miss Sweet

Oooh I will definitely try rinsing the leaves with shorter brewing time – I have just been following the brewing instrucions on our packets for the first tasting, then adjusting to suit my tastes a second time. I’m not sure I can stomach trying this again today but will definitely have a go when I’m feeling less queasy about the whole experience!

Cofftea

Flavored pu erh is different… at least the bagged one that I tried, it also comes in loose though. I steeped Numi’s Chocolate Pu Erh similar to the way you did this one. The problem is, a lot of companies give you steeping suggestions as if it’s a black tea, but it isn’t. Track down Carolyn. She gave me excellent preparation instructions… and samples to try them out on:)

Cofftea

@Ricky, I found Numi’s Chocolate anything but weak. It was rich, and decedant, complex, and wonderful

Ricky

Generally weaker =D It covers up some of the taste.

Miss Sweet

Not usually a fan of flavouring in teas, but will have to hunt around for a flavoured puerh – not many online tea vendors ship here!

Comments

Cofftea

Ricky

Generally weaker =D It covers up some of the taste.

Miss Sweet

An earl grey sipping, Sinatra swooning, retail management maven from New Zealand, planning to take over the world with tea, one charleston at a time.

A special hello to all the lovely people I met at the World Tea Expo 2010!

~

Are you…
a tea fan interested in participating in a swap?
a tea company that would like to trial shipping to New Zealand?
a tea blender wanting your tea reviewed?
a tea retailer looking for your next star manager?
an owner of a tea empire looking for a best friend/wife/mistress?
a handsome, dapper, tattooed and single 30-something man seeking a girlfriend?

Do contact me! amber.teaser@gmail.com