A big thank you to David for including a sample of this in my last order.

I got lazy and decided to make two quick steeps of this in the gaiwan and then put them together in a glass mug – I used water that was around 205 degrees but did my steeps for 30 seconds each.

I wasn’t sure if I would like the charcoal roast but it’s pretty yummy. The color is dark yellow, and yes it is toasty tasting. There is an underlying buttery flavor and a nuttiness that reminds me of toasted chestnuts or pecans, perhaps some buttered toast. This has a very smooth mouthfeel and is very clean and bright.

I also did steeps #3 and #4 together in the same mug and now that the leaves are opening I am getting a honey, nectar like sweetness along with the chesnutty-ness. It also reminds me a bit of a good quality – walnut oil? Or something of that nature. I’m amazed it feels so rich and decadent without any calories at all!

Their instructions say a full 3 minutes at 205 F (and that it’s a great pairing for afternoon sweets), but I rather liked it this way using shorter steeps in the gaiwan. It’s very yummy – another outstanding oolong from Asha. Definitely recommended if you like roasted style oolongs.

My profile pic is of a pink dahlia at Golden Gate Park.

95-100 I love this tea and would like to keep it around