drank Panyang Congou by Harney & Sons

I am hoping I like this tea because I bought a 4 oz. tin without trying a sample first. :)

The leaves of this tea look very dark and slender in the tin. I am surprised at the lightness of the color but I am fairly certain I used enough leaf here.

I steeped this for 5 minutes with boiling water per the instructions on the tin. I color and heft it reminds me of a second flush darjeeling. This tea has malty and cocoa aromas, the bf says he is reminded of almonds. The liquor is a bit flowery, mellow, exceptionally smooth and sweet honey-like notes that just seem to melt away in my mouth. There is virtually no bitterness or astringency. This is very reminiscent of a golden monkey with some sweeter, fruity type notes. Harney says baked apples, but I am thinking more like a caramel apple (without all the sticky, sickeningly sweet parts)

Overall a very enjoyable tea. I think for the morning time I generally prefer something with a bit more heft, but this is a more gentle way to wake up, which is nice for a Sunday. I would happily drink this an afternoon tea.

I would also like to gong fu this tea sometime in the future, might get even better results.

Cheryl

Their sample vs. tin prices can be tempting for the 4 oz. choice. Glad it worked out : )

ScottTeaMan

This is a really good tea. :))

Comments

Cheryl

ScottTeaMan

This is a really good tea. :))

My profile pic is of a pink dahlia at Golden Gate Park.

95-100 I love this tea and would like to keep it around