drank Masala Chai by Peet's Coffee & Tea

I bought this yesterday at Peet’s since I’ve been craving some kind of a masala chai but wanted to resist placing an order over the internet which would mean I’d probably end up buying a bunch of other stuff I don’t really need.

Upon opening the tin I think this is a CTC assam and there’s lots of broken spices in it. The directions on the tin say to steep 8 oz of tea for 5 minutes and then to warm the milk separately and combine the two. I figured I would try it at least once with their recommended instructions.

I used almond milk that I warmed in the microwave. I did taste the chai plain and it was incredibly strong so I know I will not be drinking it that way! Whenever I’ve had chai in Indian restaurants it does seem to be really creamy so it makes sense that you would use a lot of milk to temper it out. I also added some rock sugar and it is pretty good that way.

The spices in this blend are really strong, the cardamom is quite potent but that’s ok since I really like cardamom. The ginger is also quite strong. I can’t believe another taster thought the spices were weak because to me they seem quite potent. Next time I make this I will need to try adding slightly more plant milk and slightly less tea.

This is pretty good but I can see how it would be too strong for a lot of people, especially if they didn’t follow the instructions. It’s pretty good for a foggy day like today and I definitely feel invigorated just drinking this.

Overall it’s pretty good but I think I prefer the chai from Rishi, which I will likely purchase again someday. I’m just trying to avoid placing anymore internet orders for the next month or two while I save up for my vacation to Victoria.

Victoria, as in Victoria BC? :D

Fjellrev

Yaaaaaay! I am so excited for you. Have you visited before? If not, you’re in for a real treat.

TeaBrat

No, I’ve never been there, I was in Vancouver a few years ago but this will be my first time in Victoria. I’m so excited!