drank Gyokuro Matcha by Teavana

Oh Teavana, why did you need to blend these two things together, I just don’t get it…

I’ve seen other people make matcha out of gyokuro but this gyokuro has powdered matcha mixed in with it so a nice green dust emerges when you open the bag. To be fair I’ve also seen this done with some more inferior/cheap blends like genmaicha but you shouldn’t need to add anything to gyokuro to make it better…

Anyway I digress. Perhaps it is done because of color as this steeps up to a brilliant neon green. I did this for around 90 seconds in approximately 160 F water. It is pretty nice, there is the familiar sweetness/lovely mouthfeel of the gyo. I just wish there was no matcha in here because it is making the tea chalky with a lot of sediment at the bottom. Don’t you normally whisk matcha for this reason?

I will most certainly finish this and it is no doubt a very healthy drink… the second steep is better because most of the matcha dust got washed away in the first steep. I might rinse this off before steeping next time.

E Alexander Gerster

I agree! I think a really good Gyokuro should stand on it’s own, and is much more appealing without the matcha. Save the matcha for a good whisking instead of using it like an added flavoring… :)

TeaBrat

It does have a nice energy boost, I will say that for it.

noordelijk

Yes this does seem a bit strange. Both Gyokuro and matcha are lovely on their own, and it’s almost like a waste to mix them together. I guess it does add a nice health/energy boost bonus to your Gyokuro though.

Comments

E Alexander Gerster

TeaBrat

It does have a nice energy boost, I will say that for it.

noordelijk

My profile pic is of a pink dahlia at Golden Gate Park.

95-100 I love this tea and would like to keep it around