This was the first tea I served to my friend today. She told me about a week ago that she does not like or drink green tea, then promptly fell in love with Teavivre’s Jasmine Dragon Pearls. She looked a bit dubious when I told her we were starting with a green tea today. I suppose she didn’t think the chances were good that there would be TWO greens she liked!

She sipped, then almost chugged her cup, refilling it twice in just a short time. It was a hit! She said that this was something she could drink every day. Buttery and floral, and unbelievably smooth.

I called the Pasadena shop today and asked them to confirm that this is a green and not an oolong. It looks, tastes, and acts like a fine green oolong. The young lady who answered the phone took her time to explain the difference in green and oolong tea, but referred to oolongs as being more roasty. At first she insisted that this is definitely a green. When I pointed out that there are green oolongs, or light and dark as some classify them, she said that she could be wrong about the tea and would research it. She was very sweet and helpful even though I was just calling with a question and not with an order! She said she thought I should continue to steep it as if making a green tea, just as I have been doing.

Maybe if they find that it is actually an oolong they will update their website. For now I will say this is the best plain green tea I have ever tasted. If we find out it is an oolong, I will say it is the best oolong I have ever tasted!
Angrboda

I think many people who say they don’t like green tea have probably only tried it bagged, and likely also with boiling water. A common teabag brand in Denmark consequently writes ‘boiling water’ on ALL their bags, regardless of type, so how are people to know?
The only person I can think of off the top of my head who is probably right in her claim that she doesn’t like it, is the boyfriend’s sister, but that’s because she prefers builder’s tea, so green is likely way too wishy-washy for her. I tasted some of the tar she drinks once (mostly becuase she had forgotten to consider it when making it) and while I managed to drink it, I’m sure I lost a few dozen tastebuds in the process. She drinks it with obvious pleasure. (She might enjoy a roasted oolong though)

ashmanra

I was one of those people just a few years ago! I tried grocery store bagged back when all the news was coming out about how great green tea is for your health, but all I could taste was hot water. So I decided to use TWO bags and steep it even longer! I still remember being almost doubled over teaching my music students that evening because of the pain in my poor tummy! It took a long time for me to try green tea again. I am so thankful I did.

TeaBrat

The BF doesn’t care for green tea or green oolongs, he says they all taste like grass to him.

ashmanra

Amy: This is the first green my hubby actually liked. He says the others just taste like hot water. This one he specifically asks for with certain meals.

TeaBrat

I just got a big sample of this from Mercuryhime so I’ll be finding out soon enough. :)

ashmanra

Oo, I can hardly wait to see your reaction, and his!

Comments

Angrboda

ashmanra

Oo, I can hardly wait to see your reaction, and his!

We have learned so much history, geography, and culture in this journey.

My avatar is a mole in a teacup! Long story…

North Carolina