drank Assam Harmony by Adagio Teas

My first contact with this tea was successful and I wanted to see how it would do if I did the full 5 minute steep.

It’s good – and I’m saying that without having added sugar or milk to it. The bake-y flavor from before has become a malty flavor and there is a little bit of dryness/tannin in the aftertaste. The tea has no bitterness and a nice, full flavor.

This makes me think of the time a tasting specialist from Starbucks spoke at a meeting I went to and gave us coffee samples to highlight the different qualities to different types coffee beans. I wasn’t a big coffee fan but there was one he gave us – a pretty expensive, high-quality one – that was surprisingly smooth and rich without being acidic (a taste/feel I always associate with coffee). That’s what this tea reminds me of.

The smoothness of this makes me happy, but I could easily see people who prefer a more in-your-face Assam thinking this is too smooth or mild. But I think that someone who likes drinking a rougher Assam with sugar and milk would enjoy this one straight.

Angrboda

I went to a similar coffee tasting thing a couple of months ago. It was fun that there were so many things about it that I could recognise from tea, like growing height for the coffee berries being important to the general quality of the coffee and with how it wasn’t irrelevant how long it took to brew the coffee. It was really interesting. I learned a lot of stuff that technically I already kinda knew. :) I had never considered the fact that coffee has a sour taste until then, though. Especially one that he gave us, I think it was from Africa (I want to say Kenya… Can’t remember where I put my notes), that when it cooled off a bit tasted almost like someone had squeezed lemon juice in it. It took quite a few days before I could make myself make a cup of my normal instant coffee at home, although I had been inspired to drink coffee. I’d finally found one that was just right and easy to make what with being instant, I didn’t want to discover that it was crap. :)

Auggy

Hahah! Yep, sometimes learning something new means I have to forget what I’ve learned in order to continue enjoying some things! But learning about coffee made me think that I might actually enjoy some coffee out there – I’m just too lazy to find it. :)

takgoti

Coffee cupping got pretty big in the DC area not too long ago and there have been a lot of places that do it up right popping up lately. Unfortunately, having given up coffee almost completely I can’t really take advantage of it. It really takes a sledgehammer to my system. This post makes me miss it, though. Just a smidge.

Comments

Angrboda

Auggy

takgoti

1 – 10 – Bleck. Didn’t finish the cup.
11 – 25 – Drinkable. But don’t punish me by making me have it again.
26 – 40 – Meh. Most likely will see if the husband likes it iced.
41 – 60 – Okayish. Maybe one day I’ll kill off what I have in my pantry.
61 – 75 – Decent. I might pick some up if I needed tea.
76 – 85 – Nice. I’d probably buy but wouldn’t hunt it down.
86 – 100 – Yum! I will hunt down the vendor to get this tea!

Not that anyone but me particularly cares, but there it is.

Texas