drank Ryokucha by Samovar

The world was a cruel, cruel place this morning… and so far this afternoon is shaping up to be only marginally better. I figured green tea would be a good selection since I could use a yunomi to warm my hands (the cold makes me grumpy(ier)).

Wow. Lots of flavors going on here… Roasty, popcorn, creamy, a little sweet but sweet like wakame seaweed is sweet not sugar sweet. Okay, and now I’m tasting something like warmed milk. Absolutely zero bitterness or astringency. Leaves me with a thick, wet feeling in my mouth. Yeah, I know, I know. It’s a liquid, it is wet. But some teas leave a dry feeling. Not this. It really is like drinking roasted popcorn and warmed milk with a little dash of seaweed in it.

Rating-wise the jury is still out on this. I have to decide if I love it or just like it. Ultimately it will depend on how much I get into the warmed milk flavor of it. Depending on how that goes this tea will either end up being a ‘good but not for me’ or an ‘awesome-ness in tea form’. I will say this – the only other genmaicha + matcha that I’ve had was from Den’s and this one is much better. The Den’s one definitely fell into the the ‘good but not for me’ category as does genmaicha plain typically. I’ll drink it and enjoy it but never felt the urge to stock some in my pantry. This one…. might break out of that box.

takgoti

I’m giving this tea sole credit for getting me through four hours of physics lab/lecture today. Glad to hear you almost, nearly, maaaaaaybe? really liked it. Or, at the very least, liked it okay. Hee.

Auggy

No, I liked it, I’m just trying to figure out how much. Did I like it or did I OMG like it? Because it is a bit hard for me to tell with genmaichas because they never really knock my socks off. I will say I was super impressed with the second steep – it still tasted milky/creamy!

Comments

takgoti

Auggy

1 – 10 – Bleck. Didn’t finish the cup.
11 – 25 – Drinkable. But don’t punish me by making me have it again.
26 – 40 – Meh. Most likely will see if the husband likes it iced.
41 – 60 – Okayish. Maybe one day I’ll kill off what I have in my pantry.
61 – 75 – Decent. I might pick some up if I needed tea.
76 – 85 – Nice. I’d probably buy but wouldn’t hunt it down.
86 – 100 – Yum! I will hunt down the vendor to get this tea!

Not that anyone but me particularly cares, but there it is.

Texas