drank Irish Breakfast by Adagio Teas

Whee! Fun updates! Looks great, Steepster Overlords! (Now if we could just edit the comments we make….)

I spent my drive to work this morning pretty much doing three things: listening to OK Go, trying to ignore that I need to get gas (it’s literally freezing outside… I am not mentally prepared to stand out in that to pump gas) and trying to figure out what it is that this tea lacks.

I’m not saying this is a bad tea. Far from it. I quite enjoy it. I even caught a whiff of cinnamon today from the dry leaves. I tried to find that taste while drinking it, too and decided that maybe there is a hint of it on the tail end. Maybe. But anyway, I like this tea. Stout, wakes me up, but isn’t mean about it. It’s a 4/5 star for me. It’s just missing… something. Something that would give it just that little extra depth of flavor to push it into a 5/5 star tea (I am horribly stingy with 5 star ratings – out of the literally hundreds of teas I’ve tried, maybe 25 have gotten a 5).

Also this morning, I think I’ve fully figured out what malt tastes like. Others have done a great job describing it but going from acknowledging what it should taste like and really understanding what it tastes like took a few tries for me. Anyway, to me it is what comes across as a combo of bake-y and cardboard. Today I got more cardboard from this tea, but not bad cardboard. Gourmet cardboard. Not the licking-the-dirty-and-already-used-cardboard-shipping-box in-your-face-ness that I get from ROT’s Lucky Irish. This was good, clean, nice quality cardboard.

I promise, it’s not a bad thing.

But yeah. I like this tea but can’t quite love it (though it will definitely be a go-to tea for me until I find a 5-star Irish Breakfast). Now that I’ve had a chance to get to know this tea, I think I enjoy Assam Harmony more so I’ve dropped the rating just a hair to reflect that.

TeaEqualsBliss

WHOA…I’m drinking this now too…CHEERS!

Auggy

Haha – I just saw that. Yay!

LENA

“Gourmet cardboard”…nice! I’m a fan of this tea too, but it’s not perfect. It needs more cowbell.

Auggy

Hehe! What would cowbell taste like? Bakey? Cardboard? Perhaps it would it taste 5-star worthy if served by Christopher Walken?

Marie

Love nod to gourmet cardboard. :) Definitely looking for a 5-star Irish Breakfast too! I started out with my Irish Breakfast Twinings bag tea this morning, and wondered were ALL the kick went? Disappointed was an understatement – I think I might double up next time.

LENA

@ Auggy – I don’t know what needs to be added but we need to discover it! ANYTHING would be 5-star worthy if served by Christopher Walken.

Auggy

Hahah – the secret to perfect tea – Christopher Walken!

Where can I order him?

teaplz

Essence of Christopher Walken Tea. Would we want this?

I don’t get a cardboard taste from maltiness, but yay! I am glad you’ve found that flavor! I find it to be similar to a bitter flavor, but not really bitter. If that makes any sense.

Auggy

It’s not bad cardboard and probably not like actually eating cardboard but there’s a dryness and a… sturdiness to it that just brings to mind the smell of a cardboard box. Weirdly. I’m guessing that my dry sturdiness is your not bitter but bitter taste. Hehe. I think taste is very hard to describe and translate because associations play into it a lot but it is fun trying!

Why do I think Christopher Walken Tea would smell like Old Spice?

Jason

Gourmet cardboard and bake-y…with the potential of cowbell too! I’m sold. Some of the more interesting words I’ve heard used to describe tea, good job :)

We will never let you edit your comments. You will be forever mocked for your poor grammar and lack of proofreading…bwaahahahah (evil laugh)…na, it’s on the list and coming soon. I just can’t stay mad at you :)

@Jason, Yay!!!!

Suzi

adds ‘gourmet cardboard’ to the file of words that must be used in future tea reviews

Carolyn

Wouldn’t “cowbell” flavor be a term to apply to pu-erhs with their strange leather/compost flavors?

teafiend

I just want to say I love you guys. And Christopher Walken, but maybe not Christopher Walken tea.

Auggy

@Carolyn, I was thinking something more… metallic maybe. So maybe leather and metal… and Old Spice. ;)

Jillian

And bake-y, don’t forget that Auggy. ;D

Auggy

Bake-y! The Christopher Walken Cowbell Special must be bake-y, leathery and have a hint of metallic taste and the scent of Old Spice.

Sooooo… we’re talking pu-erh here yes? :)

teaplz

Nah, Auggy, cause then you’d need to throw in FISHY.

Auggy

takgoti has shared 2 pu-erhs with me (that I have yet to try but will!) and there was no mention of fishy in them. So I hold out hope for pu-erh. And Christopher Walken. :)

(Is it bad that I’m hoping the tea tastes like sweet hay and dirt? This doesn’t seem to be something I should WANT in a tea).

takgoti

This entire thing makes me laugh.

Christopher Walken is a strange nut. Loved him in the SNL census skit.

S

Never before has cardboard sounded so delicious! smile

Comments

TeaEqualsBliss

WHOA…I’m drinking this now too…CHEERS!

Auggy

Haha – I just saw that. Yay!

Marie

Auggy

Hahah – the secret to perfect tea – Christopher Walken!

Where can I order him?

teaplz

Essence of Christopher Walken Tea. Would we want this?

Auggy

Why do I think Christopher Walken Tea would smell like Old Spice?

Jason

@Jason, Yay!!!!

Suzi

Carolyn

teafiend

Jillian

And bake-y, don’t forget that Auggy. ;D

Auggy

Sooooo… we’re talking pu-erh here yes? :)

teaplz

Nah, Auggy, cause then you’d need to throw in FISHY.

takgoti

This entire thing makes me laugh.

Christopher Walken is a strange nut. Loved him in the SNL census skit.

S

Never before has cardboard sounded so delicious! smile

1 – 10 – Bleck. Didn’t finish the cup.
11 – 25 – Drinkable. But don’t punish me by making me have it again.
26 – 40 – Meh. Most likely will see if the husband likes it iced.
41 – 60 – Okayish. Maybe one day I’ll kill off what I have in my pantry.
61 – 75 – Decent. I might pick some up if I needed tea.
76 – 85 – Nice. I’d probably buy but wouldn’t hunt it down.
86 – 100 – Yum! I will hunt down the vendor to get this tea!

Not that anyone but me particularly cares, but there it is.

Texas