I was really surprised to see so many gold leaves in this tea. Sure, they look a little dry but it’s still neatly unusual. I didn’t smell the leaves really but I sure can smell the tea – even from across the kitchen! It smells pretty fruity, actually, with a chaser of malty cardboard. I’m trying it straight first off to see how that goes, but I do appreciate a good stout blend that can handle sugar and milk.

This is very smooth. And pretty much like it smells. A deep, fruity taste (makes me think of dark berries – particularly cherries) followed by a solid bread-y, bake-y taste (also dark – more like wheat or rye bread than white). For the second half of my cup, I added a little milk and sugar. Some of the nuances are smoothed over – the bread-y is just bread-y now, not a dark bread-y – but it stands up to the addition nicely. Very smooth, no rough edges but a solid core of upright, stout tea-ness with faint fruity on the front and fresh-baked bread-y on the end.

It’s not quite a drag-me-into-the-morning-kicking-and-screaming type tea (Adagio’s Irish Breakfast is a bit more aggressive in that manner) but the nuances and depth of flavor make it a really classy cup, especially for an Irish Breakfast.

teaplz

This one was really tasty! The dark fruit taste was definitely something I enjoyed with it! Malty goodness as well!

sophistre

Aha! Bake-y and bread-y! I seriously thought I was going crazy earlier when I kept thing…bread? No, not bread, something LIKE bread…wait, no, it is bread. …is it? Haha, this note was incredibly vindicating!

sophistre

Er, kept thinking. Haha, sometimes my fingers think they know better than I do what I want to type. >:|

Auggy

@teaplz – It is a good cup! Probably the least in-your-face Irish I’ve had but I have a feeling that my hands might be shaking just a little after a huge morning-sized cup!
@sophistre – Haha – I totally understand! Glad we are not insane! (Or if we are the insanity is easily spread via the internet).

Comments

teaplz

Auggy

1 – 10 – Bleck. Didn’t finish the cup.
11 – 25 – Drinkable. But don’t punish me by making me have it again.
26 – 40 – Meh. Most likely will see if the husband likes it iced.
41 – 60 – Okayish. Maybe one day I’ll kill off what I have in my pantry.
61 – 75 – Decent. I might pick some up if I needed tea.
76 – 85 – Nice. I’d probably buy but wouldn’t hunt it down.
86 – 100 – Yum! I will hunt down the vendor to get this tea!

Not that anyone but me particularly cares, but there it is.

Texas