This tasting note will be pretty pathetic and very much subject to change. First sip out of the gate I burned my tongue. That pretty much dulled my senses and I had to let the tea cool a lot before I could have more. So take this info with a grain of salt because I’m pretty sure it made a difference.

The bergamot definitely takes center stage in this tea. I can’t get much of a feel for the tea base but this might be from the burn. The bergamot, though, is fresh and clean and not overpowering (don’t take that to mean it isn’t strong… this is pretty much a one-man show). The first sip or two it tasted like fresh squeezed fruit but then I had to wait a bit for the tea to cool (the tongue, she burned) and that seemed to mellow out the bergamot some (that or the burned-ness) so that it wasn’t as much like eating fresh fruit as it was having a post-toothbrush minty fresh feeling (but bergamot instead of mint) pleasantly invading all corners of my mouth (yes, corners). The overall taste of the bergamot was smooth – no sharp edges on the citrus (or the tea) even though it was brewed for 5 minutes (I did add about 1/3 teaspoon of sugar and perhaps a teaspoon of milk to my 12 oz so I’m sure that influenced it a little but there was still no hint of bitterness or roughness so I’m still counting it as a win).

The tea was good but didn’t wow me. I wish I could have gotten more of the tea taste because I think that would make a difference in pushing this rating higher, but I’m really not sure if that is the tea’s fault or my tongue’s so I’ll have to wait until next time to make a final determination on that. The bergamot taste was strong without being mean or evil and I really liked that. I also really liked the fact that, once I was done with my cup, there was no a nasty aftertaste (unlike what so many flavored teas tend to leave behind) so that’s another win.

Of course, someone that isn’t a EG or bergamot fan would probably not like this tea at all but I’d say that EG lovers would enjoy this one. I’m looking forward to having it without causing myself personal injury. Hopefully then I’ll be able to bump the rating a squidge.

TeaBee

Really appreciated this review. I am searching for an exceptional Earl Grey. Your bio is also helpful. I need to update mine as I have been drinking teas for many years. I spent most of this time drinking loose leaf teas but in a pinch, I will use a filter bag for an individual cup.
I am new to Steepster and happy to have found this wonderful site.

Auggy

Great! Glad it was helpful – Steepster is a pretty awesome site so I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

Comments

TeaBee

I am new to Steepster and happy to have found this wonderful site.

Auggy

1 – 10 – Bleck. Didn’t finish the cup.
11 – 25 – Drinkable. But don’t punish me by making me have it again.
26 – 40 – Meh. Most likely will see if the husband likes it iced.
41 – 60 – Okayish. Maybe one day I’ll kill off what I have in my pantry.
61 – 75 – Decent. I might pick some up if I needed tea.
76 – 85 – Nice. I’d probably buy but wouldn’t hunt it down.
86 – 100 – Yum! I will hunt down the vendor to get this tea!

Not that anyone but me particularly cares, but there it is.

Texas