drank The au Chocolat by Lupicia

I’m discovering that there is a difference between teas made at home and made at work. At home, I have my Zojirushi, usually set on 208° and I rarely reboil or even preheat the pot when making something that requires ‘boiling’ water. At work, I use a little quick boil kettle so things that call for boiling are actually made with boiling. I think I prefer teas typically made with water just under the boiling point. The only possible exception to that is Samovar’s Scarlet Sable – the flavors might pop a bit more made with fully boiling water (though I’ve only brewed it at home once to it is possible that other issues were in play).

For this particular tea, just a hair under boiling seems to make the tea feel a little richer and make it where the tea is an under-note to the chocolate. At a full boil, it seems that the tea flavor is just a hair stronger than the chocolate one and there is a little dryness hanging out at the end of the sip. Still a very delightful, grown-up chocolate drink though. Soon I want to try this with sugar and milk to see if that does delicious, decadent things to it.
3g/8oz

Erin

I agree about the boiling. I always shut off my kettle right before it comes to a boil, although this is partly due to my impatience. I just don’t want to have to wait for my tea to cool off a little before I can drink it!

Auggy

That’s a good idea – my electric kettle is so noisy that I can’t normally tell when it is almost boiling until it actually starts to fully boil, though if I paid more attention to it… But at the very least, I need to take the time to pour the water into my cup and then into my pot since I think that cools it just enough get it about Zojirushi equivalent.

Ricky

Hmmmm, I never knew that the 4 degrees made a difference.

Auggy

I think it’s probably a little more than 4° since I don’t preheat the pot or do anything to get rid of that first little bit of slightly cooler water that comes out of the Zojirushi. I haven’t measured it but based on checking the temp on the 175 setting, I would guess it is probably closer to 10°. Just guesstimating though.

Comments

Erin

Ricky

Hmmmm, I never knew that the 4 degrees made a difference.

Auggy

1 – 10 – Bleck. Didn’t finish the cup.
11 – 25 – Drinkable. But don’t punish me by making me have it again.
26 – 40 – Meh. Most likely will see if the husband likes it iced.
41 – 60 – Okayish. Maybe one day I’ll kill off what I have in my pantry.
61 – 75 – Decent. I might pick some up if I needed tea.
76 – 85 – Nice. I’d probably buy but wouldn’t hunt it down.
86 – 100 – Yum! I will hunt down the vendor to get this tea!

Not that anyone but me particularly cares, but there it is.

Texas