drank Bolder Breakfast by The Tea Spot

In my mind, this is Boulder (as in Colorado) Breakfast. Because I can in no way connect the taste of this tea to something that would qualify as “fearless and daring” or even “clear and distinct”. Not that it particularly connects to Boulder, CO either but regionally named breakfast blends rarely make sense to me.

With “bolder” in the name, I would expect something that has a bit of a wow factor as far as taste. This one doesn’t. Oh, that’s not to say that it is bad. It’s just milder and smoother than I would think given the name. It is chocolate and earth with a little hay thrown in. The chocolate is not the best chocolate I’ve had but it’s not the worst either. It’s a little dry tasting and more cocoa nibs than chocolate but that’s okay. So taste-wise, not overly bold (at least to me). Theoretically they could be talking about caffeine making it “bolder” but after having the likes of Samovar’s Russian Blend, I can’t say that this would hit that definition of bold either. At least compared to how it stacks up with other teas in my pantry, this could really only be called “bolder” if it were and afternoon tea. Then I would agree.

Anyway, this morning I gave the tea a try with a little half & half and sugar, which really didn’t work out all that great. I’m not sure if the sugar canceled out the natural sweetness of the tea or if the half & half covered it up, but it tasted like it needed more sugar. Considering I didn’t feel the need to add sugar when I had this plain, I’m taking that as a bad sign. The half & half seemed to make the pu-erh taste a little more hay-like and a little less earthy so the taste didn’t blend quite as well with the cocoa nibs taste in it, making the tea a little uneven. So I definitely prefer this tea taken straight but even then it falls a little short of its name for me.

LENA

I picked this up at Whole Foods not too long ago. Still on the Breakfast blend kick, huh? It’s cool…so am I. My Samovar order delivers today, so I can now try their Breakfast tea. Yay!

Auggy

Yep, I’m still seeming to collect breakfast teas! Oooh, and Samovar’s breakfast blend makes me happy.