drank Troika by Kusmi Tea

This tea was not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting a lighter, sweetish, almost dessert-like, mild EG. But this is rich, heavy and pretty decadent. I did add a tiny bit of sugar but honestly, I don’t think it needed it because there wasn’t any bitterness or ick that I could taste trying to come through the sugar, though it is possible that the sugar did bring out the orange flavors a hair.

This isn’t overwhelmingly citrus. Instead, it is a heavy, silky, smooth tea with a light fruity sweetness surrounding the tea flavor on all sides. Knowing that it is bergamot, orange and mandarin, it’s noticeably citrus (though a dark, heavy citrus) but not knowing what it is makes the flavor a little difficult to identify past “something fruity”. Because the bergamot doesn’t overwhelm, my brain doesn’t really slot this in with EGs.

Now, I did brew this tea at potentially a too-hot temp – my Zojirushi was set at 208° so I put the water into the cup for a moment before putting in the infuser – so it is possible that at a lower water temp the citrus will come out a bit more. However, since that isn’t something I need to enjoy this tea, I’m not concerned. Probably my biggest sorta-issue with this tea is how rich it feels. It’s almost a little overwhelming since I wasn’t prepared for it but it definitely grew on me. Something so heavy might not be the best thing for first thing in the morning, though – my stomach needs to wake up a bit.

teaplz

This sounds super-interesting, Auggers, even though I’m not into the EG thing. The rich and heavy thing is making this pop for me.

Auggy

I don’t see it as all that EG-y. I’d probably go more for just a light citrus flavored tea since it is so mild and not bergamot heavy. So I think you’d be safde on that front. And I was really surprised at how heavy it was! I don’t know yet if that is a Kusmi thing or just a Troika thing but I have a few more Kusmi teas to try so I guess I’ll find out!

Comments

teaplz

Auggy

1 – 10 – Bleck. Didn’t finish the cup.
11 – 25 – Drinkable. But don’t punish me by making me have it again.
26 – 40 – Meh. Most likely will see if the husband likes it iced.
41 – 60 – Okayish. Maybe one day I’ll kill off what I have in my pantry.
61 – 75 – Decent. I might pick some up if I needed tea.
76 – 85 – Nice. I’d probably buy but wouldn’t hunt it down.
86 – 100 – Yum! I will hunt down the vendor to get this tea!

Not that anyone but me particularly cares, but there it is.

Texas