drank Laoshan Black by Verdant Tea

First tasting note! Woo. I got my 5 for 5$ Verdant sampler pack in the mail today so be ready for more!

I’ve heard tons of wonderful things about this tea so I guess I had really hgh expectations to begin with which is kind of unfair. In short though I enjoyed this tea I didn’t like this as much as I thought I would.

The predominant note I smelled and tasted from the first steep was a rich dark chocolate, like I opened up a can of cocoa powder. It like totally coated my tongue and was super intense and yummy. I tasted some other fruity notes and to be honest it reminded me lot of a red wine chocolate truffle for some reason.

The only reason I didn’t like it as much is because it was a little too rich and dense-tasting for me to enjoy enough. I like a little bit of astringency or light sweetness in my black teas to balance out those rich cocoa notes so it was just a little overwhelming for me.

It’s a really good tea but just not for me, I guess.

Cavocorax

If you have any left, try steeping it at 95C for a minute. Or even less. 30seconds? I find that this tea doesn’t need much time to steep and you might enjoy the lighter flavour that way.

AureliaFish

Oh darn! I don’t have any left, sadly :( if I get my hands on some more I’ll try it this way—I can tell it’s really tasty and I would love to find a way to enjoy it

Comments

Cavocorax

AureliaFish

Hello! My name’s Natalie and I’m seventeen. I only got into drinking loose tea regularly about six months ago and I’m definitely a newbie :)

I really love black teas the most but every now and then I’ll pick up something else. Right now I happen to be on an oolong streak! I drink almost exclusively straight teas as well so I’m rarely interested in blends.

I’m always open for swaps so if you see anything in my cupboard just send me a message to see if I’m interested in swapping it! Also, I have tons of samples that I don’t add to my cupboard on here so if you’re wondering if I have any samples you might like just ask me :)

(Other than drinking tea of course) my hobbies include Irish dancing and playing the cello (and I have an unhealthy interest in biology haha).

My scoring system:
0-29: I’d pour out my cup of it after one sip.
30-49: I’d finish the cup, but I wouldn’t particularly want to make it again.
50-59: It’s alright, and I’d drink it if offered to me.
60-69: It’s tasty but I won’t go out of my way to buy any.
70-79: I’d buy this to drink every once in a while, but if I ran out I wouldn’t rush to get more.
80-89: I enjoy this tea a lot and drink it regularly. Would recommend!
90-94: Super delicious and would run to buy more once I run out!
95-100: This is so good I am probably crying over the difficulty between drinking it all the time or drinking it only on special occasions.

California