Was writing a note when my laptop shut down, then had a hard time logging on to steepster and by that time I had moved on to the wonderful sheng I am drinking now. But earlier I brewed two blends. One an Upton Assam with chai. It was okay, I enjoyed tasting the Assam but the chai was a bit thin. I ended up using the liquor to make pancakes and they were quite nice, smelled like pumpkin when they hit the griddle but were very mild, enhancing the pancake taste just a bit.

Second combination was a blend of Upton’s East Frisian Sunday Tea with Vanilla, Sacher Blend Scented Darjeeling and a smidge of Extra Bergamot Earl Grey. Twas rich and smooth and charming. Now just as I finished brewing, Rowan asked for “tiny pancakes” (the first batch was small and I was still hungry as well". So I used up the rest of the pancake mix and poured some of this tea in for the liquid. The result was pretty awesome and the toddler agreed, we enjoyed it without butter or syrup. Would definitely remake both the tea and the pancakes!

Druid, artist, poet, mum, lover of tea, ritual and myth. I grew up on Celestial Seasons herbals but fell in love with straight loose leaf tea working at my local Teavana for a year. I am grateful for the introduction and the experience, but have moved on.

I see tea as an experience for the senses, I like to imagine tasting the land and the weather as well as the effect of sun, air, fire and the human hand. I have a soft spot for shu pu’er, yabao, scented oolongs, wuyi oolongs, taiwanese tea as well as smooth naturally sweet blacks, creamy greens and surprisingly complex whites.

I began ordering lots of samples from Upton to educate myself on different varieties of tea we didn’t have at work and have fallen head over heels for the unique offerings from Verdant Tea. I am learning things I like: buttery mouthfeel, surprising sweet or spice notes, woodiness, mineral notes, depth and complexity and things I don’t: astringency, dry and sour notes.

I collect tea tins and am in danger of collecting pots, though I am trying to restrain the urge due to current lack of space. I brew mostly in a glass infuser mug or a tea maker, only using cast-iron for company now (still need to get a gaiwan) and tend not to sweeten my teas unless they are British or fruity and iced, which is not often.

As far as ratings, I lack a definite system and haven’t been assigning numbers lately, wanting to spend multiple sessions with a tea first. I usually only log a tea once, unless it is a new harvest or I have significantly different observations, but will go back and edit or comment if I find something interesting or new.

Baker Street, Berea, Ohio