I decided to give this Banana tea a try since it got decent reviews on Steepster. It is not normally a tea I’d try.

Banana – I like banana but I’m picky about it. Fresh bananas has to be yellow for me to eat. Not green, not brown. Minor brown spots are acceptable. Artificial banana flavour is gross to me. If the flavour tastes like brown banana I find it icky (with exception to Banana Bread, bananas can be ultra ripe).

So.. I was terrified this tea was banana chips or nasty overripe banana hunks in it. The dry leaves are curled up oolong with hunks of white bananas, freeze dried. Ok, so far so good. Smell.. well… banana and oolong tea.

Steeped… well… banana and oolong scent. LOL. Steeps a pale clear white-yellow.

Taste wise – sweetness that you only get from a banana. The kind of banana I like, not the sticky pungent brown ripe banana. Then at the end a hit of the oolong tea. The combination goes surprisingly quite well together. I can taste the swirls of banana and the delicious oolong tea melding, relaxing and sweet.

What I admire about this tea is how they paired it with the oolong, instead of what I see a lot – green sencha tea – for fruit tea blends. Since the oolong is mild and on the same wave-length of banana, it works. If they did it with sencha, the after taste would be too bitter and overpower the sweetness of the banana. Very pro DAVIDsTea!

I dunno who I’d recommend this tea too… maybe for oolong lovers who want a little twist. Banana lovers, Banana haters (like picky me).

Maybe I’m giving this a high rating as I was surprised, but I like oolong teas quite a bit, and the sweetness of the banana is a great add-in. I might buy more and this would be a fun tea to show others.