drank JavaVana Mate by Teavana

Many thanks to Will Work For Tea for this sample! Super pumped to try my first Teavana tea!

More mate! Every morning for the last while I’ve been loading up on mate tea. So far I haven’t been hanging off the ceiling or running laps with my rabbit. However, it does keep me awake – this morning I’m looking forward to this cup as I had a crappy sleep. I have a broken finger from brazilian jiu-jitsu that got aggravated yesterday.

DRY: Coffee.. yep, coffee. Like already brewed wonderful coffee, not that pungent bean coffee. Hints of chocolate, oh yeah!

STEEPED: Mocha smell. Brews up to a dark brown.

TASTE: I can taste the black tea and a slight bitterness (very slight), then a light coffee blend with a hint of chocolate filling my mouth. Theres some smoothness at the end, maybe the vanilla? The mate is there, but more in the background. Very mocha-like, without ultra strong/bitter coffee punch, but still close to coffee.

WHO’D GUZZLE THIS TEA LIKE ITS GOING OUT OF STYLE: coffee drinkers (thats right, kick that coffee habit) and mocha lovers. Black tea drinkers wanting to ease into mate.

COMMENTS:
I’m thinking OMG ICED TEA MOCHAS! This tea would be killer for that! A bit of rock sugar in the steeping, some milk/milk alternative and ice, all I need is a cute glass to put it in! No wait, kick it up with some ya know, whipped cream, chocolate drizzle. Blah, not healthy anymore!

So, I recently had a similar mate, Fusion Teas “Good Morning Mate” which I judged to be pretty decent coffee-like tea without tasting bitter liquid death. Good Morning Mate is more on the robusty woody roasted-tasting spiced side. JavaVana Mate is very different on the more chocolate side with extra dimension with the black tea.

JavaVana Mate is pretty good and I think I’ll buy some to gift for my Dad and father-in-law after skimming some off for myself.