Malt tea? Crazy!

Well, I’ve had malt tea before, unsuccessfully. About 6 or 7 years back I noticed some grain teas at my local Korean Supermarket. I came home with a malted barley and black bean tea. Of course, the entire thing was in korean so I had no idea how to prepare it. I tried a few times and it either tasted like nothing, or if I left it in the fridge it went bad. Reflecting upon this, it probably wasn’t milled or whatever.

So I saw Azzrian on “share your orders” order a $1.50 sampler pack – a deal? I checked out malt tea.com and damn, it is a $1.50 + $1 shipping (promocode is on the sampler page) so I decided to check them out. Even without the sampler pack, you can get a pound for like $5! CRAZY!

Shipping took longer than expected, but came in a nice box tied with thin twine. Inside was lots of tea bags tied with twine and labeled. Very cute!

DRY: Smells of chocolate, malt and sweet. Bringing up childhood memories of a chocolate treat that I can’t remember. Ovaltine? I think Ovaltine!!!

STEEPED: I wanted to check out the bits, so I opened the tea bag and used a steeper. Brews up a dark brown tea (weird!). Smells really strong earthy grainy.

TASTE: Mysteriously sweet and totally malt flavored smooth. Not chocolately but a light coffee taste. Honey like aftertaste and freaky malty burps.

WHO SHOULD TRY THIS TEA: For $2.50 (including shipping) for 10 tea bags of various malt tea, why not? For this particular malt, I think coffee drinkers, sweet black tea types would like this for a caffeine free treat.

COMMENTS: totally ovaltine like to me, but no chocolate taste. I’m impressed how sweet this stuff is!
I wish the tea came with instructions. I had to look on their website for preparation (200f, 3 to 5 minutes) not sure how much water to use, but went with 1.5 cups or so.

Kittenna

Fascinating! Definitely need to try some of these eventually.