Cookies and Cream Matcha – Black Matcha base

What kind of oreo person are you? I was one of those double stuff gals, who would take two double stuff oreos missing a top and combine them into one quadruple stuff oreo! YEAH!

So, I am the adventurous type and customized my Red Leaf matcha to be made as black matcha, which is ground up black tea. I do love my black tea, especially blended with other flavors. Black tea + chocolate + cream = win!

My matcha specs:

Cookies and Cream black matcha
Quality: Black Matcha
Flavor: Robust
Small Tin

I’ve been choosing Robust flavoring as I find it pretty strong and with a background taste of the matcha. Of course, the tin is great as it keeps the matcha safe and easy to scoop from. I have one matcha I didn’t get a tin for and I’ve often got some on my hands reaching into the bag and made a mess.

The matcha powder is light chocolately colour, looking tasty! A strong chocolate liqour and a mysterious zesty black tea smell.

Prepared as a traditional matcha, the froth is a little hard to achieve, and does not linger for long. The colour is again a light chocolate. The taste is a bitter strange, some astringency, but also a mysterious creamy note. At the end of my sip, there is a strong black tea taste. Strong as in if you over steeped a cup of black tea or added too much leaves in in some ambitious plot to make it taste more like the flavoring. This was a pour out for me as it was just too bitter strong crazy for my liking. Maybe black matcha needs to be prepared at a different temperature than green matcha?

In another attempt, I whisked another batch up, but instead of more hot water I added a teaspoon of sugar and topped it off with hot soy milk. Now, this is much much better! Creamy, lightly chocolately and oreo filling taste! There is a slight black tea aftertaste similar to the traditionally prepared cup but goes with the whole experience. At times I can totally taste I’m drinking cookies and cream ice cream, but other sips I’m reminded this is black tea. I love it! This totally is one of the best black tea lattes I’ve had!

I’m thinking I’d love to do this as a smoothie – blend this up with milk, ice, sweetener and top with some smashed oreo cookies. Or, I could take the cookies and cream latte to the next level with whipped cream and cookie crumb topping! Yeah.. I need to watch my figure, so I’ll stick to the basic latte or smoothie.
I probably will never buy any oreo cookies because I’d eat them all, so maybe a scoop of low fat cookies and cream ice cream on top? I’d love to have some cookie chunks with this matcha!

Overall, I don’t recommend Cookies and Cream black matcha base as a traditional cup, unless I’m failing at preparing this correctly. As a latte, pretty solid and delicious, especially if you are a black tea drinker.

Thanks for this review! I’m thinking I may actually enjoy the black base for lattes and smoothies since I’m a fan of black tea. Was actually thinking of doing a black base on the mocha. This sounds goods though, since I rarely drink matcha straight up ;)

Awkward Soul

Might be good to try it in Distinctive flavoring if you want to taste more black tea. I love the robust setting as the black tea just peeps out. This was hard to rate, latte was to die for, but straight uggg!

Comments

Red Leaf Tea
New Mexico Tea Co
Bluebird Tea Co
The Persimmon Tree

I have a husband and a bunny who both hate tea. More for me!!!! MUUAHAHAHAHAAA

Long Beach, CA