I love tiramisu! However, I’ve eaten it only a few times in my life. The best one was actually a matcha tiramisu that I ate at the Richmond Night Market, in Richmond, BC Canada. The green tea tiramisu was so creamy, eggy, green tea, and sweet! I was excited to see that Red Leaf Teas http://www.redleaftea.com/ had created a tiramisu flavor! I’m all over that!

What I ordered:

Tiramisu Matcha
Quality: Starter (Basic Grade)
Flavor: Robust (because I love my tiramisu)
Small Tin
By the way, appears there was a packaging change, now it’s in a silver foil bag, still non resealable.

The matcha powder on its own is very sweet and chocolate coffee smell.
Prepared as a regular hot matcha, the froth didn’t maintain itself – something I’ve been noticing whenever I ordered a “robust” level matcha. Without sweetener, it is coffee – like bitter with a hint of chocolate. It was a little too strong coffee bitterness for my liking, so I added a bit of sugar, which made the matcha taste smooth, creamy, little mocha and chocolately. I’m thinking this would be better as a hot latte.

Now onto my favorite part: iced matcha latte! (sifted tiramisu matcha + soy milk + sweetener + ice). This is spot on tiramisu, almost ice creamy since my matcha is cold. I can taste the whipped cream middle, which leaves a creamyness sensation on the tongue afterward, chocolately and slightly eggy. I don’t taste any bitterness and very slight coffee taste. The green tea is very background, from the “robust” flavoring.

Overall, not sure which Red Leaf Tea matcha I like more, Bavarian Cream or Tiramisu. Both and nice and complex. For the tiramisu, it be easy for it to be just mocha flavor, however this matcha pulls off the various elements of tiramisu, impressive! I wanna dust this matcha ontop of a real tiramisu! Oh heck, make my own tiramisu with this matcha, ehhh maybe on a well planned cheat day!

katgolik