Hmmm, I guess I never tea logged this tea?
I did a blog post on this tea when my crazy tea blog was new http://oolongowl.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/houji-genmaicha-from-dens-tea-tea-review/

I’m on a Houjicha run today, this being the 3rd type to drink. Thankfully this tea has little in caffeine.

I didn’t follow Den’s steeping instructions, but Yunomi’s http://yunomi.us/713/standard-steeping-technique/

Anyways, I’m thinking I’m preferring Yunomi’s teas as they seem more intense in flavor. Den’s, though this is a genmaicha, is light and has a vegetal brothyness to it with a peep of roasty flavor. The resteep does have a nice buttery flavor, which I enjoyed. Overall, I’d probably not buy more of this and go with a straight smokey strong houjicha instead.

Zack S.

What are your favorite kinds of of strong, smokey houjichas that you would recommend?

Zack S.

I’m definitely gonna put an order on that website, they seem to have a lot of cheap sample sizes so I’ll probably just go crazy on a big order. Any must-have recommendations from them?

Awkward Soul / Oolong Owl

I’d snag a Gyokuro for sure, I liked the heritage ones. I also really liked making my own genmaicha with their genmai + whatever base (houjicha was good, so was their Obubu Sencha)
They have some experimental stuff – like Japanese Oolongs, I haven’t tried my sample yet to know if its good or not.

And if you want something very unique http://yunomi.us/shelf/tisanes/sakura-tea/

Zack S.

Thanks for the recommendations! I ended up placing an order for over 500g with about 20 teas, including the ones you mentioned. Can’t wait for it to arrive, the suspense is intense O_O"

Comments

Zack S.

Awkward Soul / Oolong Owl

Red Leaf Tea
New Mexico Tea Co
Bluebird Tea Co
The Persimmon Tree

I have a husband and a bunny who both hate tea. More for me!!!! MUUAHAHAHAHAAA

Long Beach, CA