Backlog

I’m baking up a storm for tomorrow’s Canadian Thanksgiving celebration. This morning I was making desserts that could be made the day before: pumpkin pie spice fudge and nanaimo bars.

I have a sample of this tea and I really wanted an oolong, so I steeped it up in my yixing pot while I baked and cleaned the kitchen. It’s surprisingly lighter than I thought it was going to be, with a nice buttery flavor. Actually, very similar to that nanaimo bar custard filling, though not as sweet. I forgot my tea steeping twice, so my last steepings got some astringency and mushroomyness.

Oh man, I want some nanaimo bars! DROOOLLL
(lol, I seriously smuggled 3 cans of Bird’s Custard powder from Canada just so I can make nanaimo bars in the US)

Boiling
Bonnie

What is a Nanaimo bar? Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

OMGsrsly

You can’t find Bird’s in the States? So weird! Would you be able to share your Nanaimo bar recipe? No one in my family ever makes them, and I don’t totally trust the internets. :)

Awkward Soul

I use this recipe http://www.joyofbaking.com/NanaimoBars.html
BUT double (or add an extra half) the middle custard layer – doubling it makes it similar to store bought ones, but taste better since they are homemade.

No Bird’s Custard powder in the US unless ya go searching at like a world market, and it’s not cheap there.

Bonnie, Nanaimo bar’s are a Canadian no bake, layered dessert and crazy rich. It’s a layer of chocolate/ graham/ coconut / nuts, a custard icing layer, then topped with melted chocolate.

Terri HarpLady

…drooling…wow! Of course, I’m allergic to half the ingredients, but it still sounds delicious to me! Happy Canadian thanksgiving! :)

Awesome! Thanks. :)

Comments

Bonnie

What is a Nanaimo bar? Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Awkward Soul

Red Leaf Tea
New Mexico Tea Co
Bluebird Tea Co
The Persimmon Tree

I have a husband and a bunny who both hate tea. More for me!!!! MUUAHAHAHAHAAA

Long Beach, CA