drank Coconut Pouchong by Golden Moon Tea

This is great stuff! There’s a freshness and authenticity to the fragrance. When I first opened the packet, all I could smell was coconut. “Where’s the tea?,” I thought. And this was odd, because if you look at the dry tea, all you see is leaves—it’s not like it’s a pile of coconut flakes or anything. After a few breaths, I could smell the fragrance of the tea itself start to creep in. What was interesting about the fragrance was how it changed when I steeped the tea: suddenly, the coconut disappeared and all I could smell was tea. Like I did with the dry leaves, I gave it a few moments and slowly the coconut began to creep in and mix with the tea. I was kind of fascinated by these aromatic acrobatics.

I’ve never had coconut cream pie. I’ve also never had any of the teas that attempt to recreate that flavour. But when I took a sip of this blend, I immediately thought of some sort of creamy, coconut treat. The tea has…substance to it, as if I’d added milk to it. As I was with the fragrance, I was fascinated by the tea itself. It’s really something, isn’t it, that we can combine a tea blend with water and end up with a light amber liquid that tastes…creamy! I don’t mean to make this sound like a science experiment, I just can’t get over this creaminess-without-cream effect.

Okay, so texture and consistency aside, this blend tastes great. It’s flavourful and balanced. It’s light in spite of the smooth, creamy consistency. I found myself sipping this one slowly to make the brew last longer, a clear indication that I need to add this to my shopping list. What I’d like to do, in the future, is try some different preparation methods: first, I’d like to try it iced; second, I’d like to blend it with a chocolatey tea—I love Mounds candy bars; and third, I’d like to make it kind of like chai, with (soy) milk instead of water.

Tea amount: 1 sample packet (I didn’t measure it out, sorry.)
Water amount: 16oz./~475mL
Additives: ~1 level tbsp Demerara sugar

Terri HarpLady

Good morning Nik! It IS a science experiment, it really is! All of life is Art, & it’s also one science experiment after another, especially in the areas of tea, food, & gardening!(At least, that’s how it is in my little world..) : )

Nik

Good morning! Indeed, you are correct, it is a branch of the science of nomology. =)

Bonnie

Ah, you were seduced by this tea. It happens to all of us. Which is why we are addicts (there are other colorful names I could use but won’t).

Azzrian

This is a good one!

K S

I have been following your Golden Moon reviews with interest. Their’s was some of the first loose leaf I ever tried. I couldn’t wait for your take on this one. I resteeped this nine times. I would have kept going but being new at tea I didn’t know I could keep the leaves overnight. This is a good one.

Terri HarpLady

I actually haven’t tried any of Golden Moon’s teas yet. I’ll have to add them to my list of companies to check out!

Nik

K S, that’s amazing. Nine times! Now I feel wasteful for disposing of the leaves after one steep. =) Terri, they’ve been kind of hit-or-miss with me, but I guess that’s true of most tea-tailers. I am glad that I got the massive sampler box; it’s been great to get a taste of so many of their teas.

Comments

Terri HarpLady

Bonnie

Azzrian

This is a good one!

K S

Nik

2012.10.07: I hear people like to understand other people’s ratings, so here’s a loose guide:

01-29: Dear God, why.
30-49: I’ll finish this cup, I guess, but no more.
50-59: Meh.
60-69: Decent. Maybe I can blend it with something else and make it better.
70-79: Heeey, this is quite good!
80-89: I love it, but I’m not in love with it.
90-100: Permanently resident in my Happy Place.

Update: I have steeped, and it was good. =] Still a tea-ophyte, though.

This is a tea site, so I feel like “well, I’m Indian” should be enough of an introduction. Because, I mean, it’s kind of in my genes, right? But the fact of the matter is that I’m an absolute tea-ophyte.

I’ve just discovered a world beyond Celestial Seasonings. I’ve just discovered “sachets” instead of “normal” tea bags and bought my first loose tea sampler. I don’t get the whole water temperature and steep time thing yet, nor that if I want to get a yixiang tea pot, I’d need one for each type of tea. I have this infuser ball thing, but I haven’t used it yet.

Don’t cringe, but right now I’m still just boiling water and pouring it over a teabag, adding some sugar, and drinking a nice, hot cuppa. I’d like to learn more, I think, and I’d like to train my palate. I figure participating in this community is the best way to do that.

So ya. Hi!