drank Mango Nut by Teas Etc

I’m not sure about this one. I might have to give it a little time, maybe a few tastes. My initial impression is a whole lot of meh.

Fragrance, dry leaves: Coffee. Okay, I’m beginning to think that all nutty rooibos blends smell like coffee to me. There’s coffee and there’s a sort of generally tropical thing going on, but I don’t know that I can actually smell coconut and mango. I’m just a teensy bit on the irked side that the list of ingredients doesn’t actually contain the word mango anywhere, just “flavoring.”

Fragrance, brewed tea: Coffee. Generally tropical something or other. Also, something nutty. But not specifically coconut-ty.

Flavour: There’s the coconut! And even the mango, sort of. It’s not really evident, but because I know it’s there, I can search for it and find the flavour.

In the end, it may just be that I’m not a fan of these tropical flavours. It may be that I should try this iced. It may be that I wasn’t paying enough attention and didn’t steep it properly. For the time being, what I’m feeling is that something is missing here. I’ll try it again at a later time and hopefully improve my rating.

2012.10.07: I hear people like to understand other people’s ratings, so here’s a loose guide:

01-29: Dear God, why.
30-49: I’ll finish this cup, I guess, but no more.
50-59: Meh.
60-69: Decent. Maybe I can blend it with something else and make it better.
70-79: Heeey, this is quite good!
80-89: I love it, but I’m not in love with it.
90-100: Permanently resident in my Happy Place.

Update: I have steeped, and it was good. =] Still a tea-ophyte, though.

This is a tea site, so I feel like “well, I’m Indian” should be enough of an introduction. Because, I mean, it’s kind of in my genes, right? But the fact of the matter is that I’m an absolute tea-ophyte.

I’ve just discovered a world beyond Celestial Seasonings. I’ve just discovered “sachets” instead of “normal” tea bags and bought my first loose tea sampler. I don’t get the whole water temperature and steep time thing yet, nor that if I want to get a yixiang tea pot, I’d need one for each type of tea. I have this infuser ball thing, but I haven’t used it yet.

Don’t cringe, but right now I’m still just boiling water and pouring it over a teabag, adding some sugar, and drinking a nice, hot cuppa. I’d like to learn more, I think, and I’d like to train my palate. I figure participating in this community is the best way to do that.

So ya. Hi!