T&C Box 17/18

Oh, Teavana. I didn’t have a problem with them until I took a snoop around the Steepster boards and found out about how badly they treat their employees. I’ve been in one in Indianapolis and while the employees did overpour me very slightly they’ve never been pushy or rude in any way. I don’t like companies that treat their employees badly, though, so I’m now underwhelmed by them as a whole.

I told myself I wasn’t going to try this one. I was going to pass it along unopened to Kat_Maria. But then I got curious, which means I opened it and made myself a cup. I’ve never had this without the huge amount of sugar Teavana stores put in their samples; however, unless candied papaya now comes in crystal form I’m pretty sure there’s rock sugar in here, and not in the ingredients list to boot. Sigh. There’s also so many ingredients that I’m hoping I got everything in the teaspoon.

This does smell good to me, but that’s because of the overwhelming cinnamon. I tried to get everything into the teaspoon but I see no evidence of blooming oolong leaves anywhere. In fact I see very little that could be qualified as tea at all. This tastes mostly like cinnamon and fruit, with not much going on other than that. It is also definitely sweetened, as I suspected. Maybe I should have left this one alone.

Kat_Maria

Haha! If you hadn’t opened it I wouldn’t open it either because I currently have 2 of these sachets, unopened :D And I had one of these before – sweet god of sweetest mercy, was it sweet!

Yeah, I have a bunch of blends that I got from Teavana during their recent sale and they are all supposed to be “oolongs” but there’s barely any tea in there. I actually treat them as fruit tisanes, meaning, I add a bit of sugar to them and I drink them very late at night, cause, seriously, how much caffeine can there be? ;)

I will be probably passing a few servings of some of them in the travelling box… They can be decent, but only if you treat them as fruit tisanes, and only if you sweeten them to taste YOURSELF.

bluebelle

Oh, dear! I’ve never gotten their samples before, because I’ve only bought one tea from them in store. It was a straight oolong, but there was something sort of…off about it, so I don’t think I’ll get oolongs from them again.

Nicole

I believe it does have rock sugar in it. I got that one included as a free sample with a teapot I bought from them online. I’d had it before and knew it wasn’t for me. I hope it finds a tastebud that likes it. :)

Comments

Kat_Maria

bluebelle

Nicole

I loved tea as a kid, didn’t drink it for about ten years, and then rediscovered it about a year ago. I’m still pretty new to the types and brands of tea out there, but I’m interested in trying some of everything! Currently:

-comfortable and experimenting with black teas
-enthusiastically embracing oolongs
-cautiously trying chai, greens, and whites
-adoring herbals (without hibiscus)
-neutral to rooibos
-afraid of pu-erhs (but willing to try!)

My rating system:

95-100: I would cross oceans for this tea. Drinking it is an amazing experience. If I don’t currently have it in my cabinet I’m probably very sad about that.

80-94: A very good tea. I would probably buy it again if I had the money/room in my cabinet.

65-79: Decent. I might buy it on sale or pass it by depending on my mood.

40-64: I’d accept a cup of this if it was served to me, but not buy it.

below 40: Ugh! Never again!

Keep in mind that bitterness is the worst thing that can happen to a tea for me, followed closely by hibiscus; I also have food allergies that rarely influence my tea habit, but please check with me before sending anything!

Indiana, U.S.