First review. This is my first Genmaicha so I’m a rookie. I picked this out as a ‘buy this Bonnie’ option when I decided to stop at the Teavana store, close to Boulder, on an outing with my granddaughter because the Steepster rating was good. There’s something about the customer service everywhere in Colorado that is unbelievable! When I moved here from Northern California it was like stepping back in time…to the 1950’s or 1960’s when people said thank you, please and how can I help you…ALL the time. Part of normal behavior. This is what happens here wherever you go and took time for me to get adjust to. Smiles and kindness. The Teavana store had about 9 samples available to try when I walked in and never once did anyone try to SELL me. In fact, the service was friendly and kinda over-the-top respectful! Ah well. One Teavana store that did a good job. Needed to give them their due.
Now here at home it’s time for steeping at the right temp. (which I did) and a short 45 seconds and no longer. This kept the tea from going bitter. Very important! I was skeptical. Honey, how was this going to work out in 45 seconds? But, it did. My oh my did it work out well! The fragrant nutty brew reminded me at first of corn nuts. Nah, that’s not right. There isn’t a vegital spinach or green bean taste but what is this flavor?
I ran through my mental recipe file and landed on stir fry…but not exactly. I tried again and finally settled on 3 things…1. Toasted Sesame Oil, 2. Roasted Rice and 3. A bit of Stir Fried Bok Choy. That’s it! Absolutely the bomb! This is really good. I know that you should drink this tea straight up but people being what they are…I knew someone would add sugar or agave or something sweet so I tried it that way too. And, it’s ok. Not ok, ok, but good even in a way I really thought would be yucky but isn’t yucky. The sweet, salty toasty thing works and is good. I bought 4 oz. and I’m glad I did. This is good Genmaicha. Coats the tongue a bit and makes you lick your lips and say mama.