Second Review. This review will be shorter because I will not be putting my nose to the pot watching the Pu-erh break apart and all that. What I’m after is taste. How does this taste on another day when I may be a whole other person…the cameleon that I am. The mists of yesterday are gone and a cool Spring morning is begging me for Pu-erh.
I did a cursory rinse and then a 3 minute steep. It is pretty nice and strong the way I like it without bitterness or any off taste. But, it’s not quite to my liking. The flavors are fighting each other for control. “Hey..buckwheat/mushroom, honey-pepper…STOP ALREADY!”, I demanded. I think I will have to tone this down into a latte, I thought, and I did…which made the flavors behave better.
Awhile later, I prepared a second steep and let it go 6 minutes. The mash of Pu-erh leaves smells like paint which some of you will like (you know who you are!) and I actually like the memory of six years of art classes and paint all over my fingers. This pour is more like it! Subtle and at peace with it’s complexity. The pepper is content to bounce off the end of your tongue. The honey is lingering in a pool at the bottom of the roundness of the other flavors and the buckwheat and mushroom have joined together as partners woven into a more gentle earthiness. You can sip this without sweetening or milk. I have a hard time saying this since I love Pu-erh lattes. But it is good straight.

chadao

I have the same issues with pu’er tea. The flavors in the first steep are always a bit overwhelming. I usually do a 1 minute steep for the first two or three steepings, and this usually helps a bit. Never the less, things are always on the up for the second steeping. I’ve never tried pu’er with milk before. Just never thought of it. I’ll have to try it!

Bonnie

Pu’er latte’s are really good!

Indigobloom

the last Pu-erh latte I had was a blend that didn’t agree with me… so I’ve been hesitant to jump back in ever since. You make an excellent argument for it Bonnie!

Comments

chadao

Bonnie

Pu’er latte’s are really good!

Indigobloom