drank Grape Oolong by Butiki Teas

Thank you Butiki Teas for this sample!

Bonnie is getting brave, coming out of her shell and trying new tea’s. Gyokuro on ice, and two Oolongs all in one day. Who would have thunk it! You can teach old folks new things! (I also had a lovely black tea from Teavivre today also but I’ve logged it twice already). The luxury of tea and discovery of new flavors and brewing methods appeals to me. I am so greatful for today and all my days!

At first when I read the steep time of 4 minutes I was surprised because my earlier Oolong this morning was only a 1 minute steep. However, I leave all this to the tea companies and obey their instructions (at least for the first time I brew the tea!). Like all Oolongs, please don’t use a teaball. The leaves need room to expand. Even if you pour water over the leaves in a bowl it’s better and let them expand then strain into your cup or a pot.

1. Gold shimmering liquor! Then, a grape/lilac-orchid aroma. The flavor is not overly orchid and there is a little tannin along with big, bold creaminess. I don’t find the grape overdone. This is, after all, a grape oolong so there should be grape flavor. It is sweet with rock sugar and slightly mineral.

2. Second steeping I kept with the same 4 minute time. The liquor is still the color of spun gold.
The mouth-feel is juicy, mineral, floral but less creamy with more tannin on the tongue. My addition of sweetening kills the tannin and enhances the floral note and slight grape flavor. I recommend doing this. It is true that the more this tea cools, the more the grape flavor increases which is pleasant.

3. I’m having fun now! Still steeping 4 minutes. The liquor is a great color and fragrant.
Not expecting much flavor, I am very surprised at how juicy the tea has become, and that the tannin is gone. There is rock sugar, mineral flavor with a faint floral orchid taste. It is sweet enough to drink straight up and a bit salty, pecan nutty. Of course as the tea becomes cooler…more grape flavor pops up!

During the last tasting I was thinking about the grape flavor…and how I would like to purchase this tea to Pair with Hard, Salty Greek Goat Cheese like a Kesseri (which is good flamed) or Cypriot Halloumi Cheese (which can be fried)!

I finished my tasting this way…some cheese…some grape oolong tea…some cheese….

Kittenna

Mmmm, I’m pairing cheese curds and a ripened goat cheese with my teas right now. Not that any of mine go together though!!

Bonnie

You need to pair with opposites like a salty cheese with a fruity or floral tea but not if the tea is delicate. Can’t overpower the tea! Love goat cheese!

Azzrian

Goat cheese Strawberry Salad with caramelized pecans and a strawberry vinaigrette dressing!

Bonnie

Yes! Exactly! Oolong and garlic fries ick however!

Ian

I somehow always walk away from reading your tasting notes a lot hungrier than thirstier…

Bonnie

I laughed…Ian, when is a teenager NOT hungry?!

Hahaha, and Bonnie, I laughed at your comment :P

@Azzrian – Sounds delicious!

Comments

Kittenna

Azzrian

Bonnie

Yes! Exactly! Oolong and garlic fries ick however!

Ian

Bonnie

I laughed…Ian, when is a teenager NOT hungry?!

Hahaha, and Bonnie, I laughed at your comment :P

@Azzrian – Sounds delicious!

Colorado Grandma