Second Tasting Note.
After my exciting Gyokuro tasting at Happy Luckys Tea House a few days ago, using the Shinoba Cha method of extracting flavor from the leaves by letting ice melt over them slowly (AWESOME FLAVOR CONCENTRATION!)…I thought…hey self, I have this Gyocuro Genmaicha Green Tea…so what would happen if I tried this ice method with it?

So I Did!

Here’s a video of the method: http://youtu.be/4UEZcq1qVtw

All afternoon….little drizzles of extracted flavor…concentrated drop by drop as the ice was melting. Pretty good flavor! Nutty, salty and savory. Not as extreme as the higher quality straight Gyokuro without the toasted rice that I had previously, but pretty good with a lingering aftertaste. That aftertaste is wonderful and lasts for hours.

If you have never tried this method and have a nice Gyokuro or Sencha around, you might give this method a try since it is cool for warmer weather and so easy to do.

Andy at Happy Luckys told me that he heard about a place in Japan that puts out pure blocks of ice with a groove in each running end to end. A cup is set at each end to catch drips of melting water. Then a different type of Gyokuro is placed in the groove of each ice block so that guests can go from one to another tasting each Gyokuro varietal as the melting progresses. Sounds heavenly!

Azzrian

Ugg wish I had something worthy of tying this with! Sounds really interesting!

Do you have a Sencha?

Spoonvonstup

That sounds like such a cool method! Thanks for sharing

Azzrian

I do have some sencha – Den’s Sakura Sencha – do you think that would work?

Bonnie

Who knows? I like trying! I had pure water and made ice cubes out of that first..but I’d do it’ll be strong and has less caffeine this way.

DaisyChubb

looks so fun! And delicious!… I’m doing this tomorrow. Thank you Bonnie, I had never heard of this technique before you brought it up :)

Bonnie

Let us know what you think! Super strong and I love it!

Azzrian

I will give it a try but need to make ice out of some good water – our ice always tastes funny when we use faucet water. This is why we rarely use ice!

Indigobloom

omg I am trying this on Saturday!!

Bonnie

I added some salt to the last little bit because it was just shy of bitter and as you say nom….mmmmm

salt. got it!

Comments

Azzrian

Ugg wish I had something worthy of tying this with! Sounds really interesting!

Do you have a Sencha?

Spoonvonstup

That sounds like such a cool method! Thanks for sharing

Azzrian

I do have some sencha – Den’s Sakura Sencha – do you think that would work?

DaisyChubb

Bonnie

Let us know what you think! Super strong and I love it!

Indigobloom

omg I am trying this on Saturday!!

salt. got it!