Thank you Indigobloom for this sample!

I’ve been a bit unwell (I’ll get to that at the finish) so I decided to SMOKE it out of me! Teach that ol allergic reaction a lession I will! Ya’ll know I love me some Lapsang Souchong! With this sample I went past the recommended steep time by 1 minute because I like my tea full bodied. Um, smelled nice and smoky but not in a room filled with smoke sort of way. In other words, no one was going to call the Fire Department.

The golden brown liquor looked just right when I took my first gulp, hum, which was milder and sweeter than I was expecting. I’ve been drinking a bold and salty Lapsang Souchong with a slightly burnt edge for some time but this was different. This one was smooth and mild with far less salt, and with tannin at the finish creating juiciness.

I added sweetening (I know that Indigobloom does this too) and cream which created a nicely balanced morning cup of smoked, buttery sweet tea. Perfect pairing would be toast and jam or sweet bagels.

FYI
Just a note for anyone with food allergies (like me)…Rooibos is in the legume family which I found out by getting a reaction…arf…so you should avoid it! Who knew! Made my throat and mouth all scratchy and sore and swollen and I felt awful…could have been worse!

ashmanra

Oh my! Thanks for sharing the warning. I will pass it on.

Azzrian

Oh so sorry :( Hope you get better soon!

ScottTeaMan

Get well Bonnie.

Bonnie

I’m ok now…just took a couple of days to research and get out of my system! I smoked it out this morning. My daughter will be delighted to receive some Rooibos from me! (I didn’t have much to tell the truth which is why this has not happened before…I had several samples in a row which is what did the awful!)

LiberTEAS

Wow… interesting information! I did not know that about Rooibos!

Indigobloom

Glad you’re feeling better Bonnie! I don’t know anyone with a nightshade allergy but I will keep it in mind for sure :)

Kittenna

Odd, nightshade plants (solanaceae) are tomatoes/peppers/eggplants, not beans (legumes, fabaceae), which I do see rooibos is associated with. Are you allergic to beans? Because if not, I wonder if there wasn’t a different ingredient lurking in a tea you had that you are having a reaction to. Lapacho appears to be another plant entirely, and appears to have significantly more questionable effects, and you had some of that, didn’t you?

Bonnie

You are correct. I removed the incorrect info. I have nightshade and bean allergies so Rooibos is a legume and made me sick (but is not nightshade). People with fibromyalgia are often sensitive to both as well as chocolate, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, smiles and good times. (ok a joke there at the end)

Kittenna

Ahh, that would make sense then, if you drank tea with rooibos. I’m glad you’ve mentioned its plant family – I think you may have enlightened a lot of people!

And at least on Steepster, it seems like you’re a provider of smiles and good times :P

Indigobloom

You both make me smile!! :)

Bonnie

I have succumbed to teamentia!!

SimpliciTEA

Interesting!

Although I haven’t heard of nightshade, I have heard fibromyalgia, as I have a friend who has it. Rooibos is a legume? Very interesting.

Comments

ashmanra

Oh my! Thanks for sharing the warning. I will pass it on.

Azzrian

Oh so sorry :( Hope you get better soon!

ScottTeaMan

Get well Bonnie.

LiberTEAS

Wow… interesting information! I did not know that about Rooibos!

Indigobloom

You both make me smile!! :)

Bonnie

I have succumbed to teamentia!!

SimpliciTEA