Thank you FONG MONG TEA for this beautiful tea sample!

The first thing you notice about this tea are the multicolored dry leaves. Rust, grey and various shades of brown with tinges of green. Very pretty.

My porcelain gaiwan is small and just the right size for multiple infusions of this Oolong. Using a scant tsp of leaves, I waited almost a minute before the first pour.

The aroma from the now large brown ochre leaves was unexpectedly malty and vegital. The liquor was light yellow and clear.
I slurped the brew deeply…like a fine wine letting all of the liquid hit every taste bud.
Oh my! For no reason whatever…the first thing I thought of was yellow roses in the garden. Beautiful roses with the blush of soft pink that reminds you of ripe yellow delicious apples. The fragrance and taste of both mingled together but gently…ever so slight in the tea base. The room seemed to be spinning.

The tip of my tongue became hot like a nettle sting but there was no bitter aftertaste or tannin. This tea was juicy.

The second steep.
The leaves looked like rusty parts of filigree floating in the gaiwan. The liquor was golden, leaves smelling like lilac and rock sugar. The broth was much thicker coating my mouth, still juicy and sweet but reminded me of a corn broth. Not a sweet corn but the real corn juice that comes off the cob when you cut the kernels with a knife. Light and fresh.

I decided to increase the steep time a bit. The discription of sweet fruit had not appeared. The flavor was subtle and enjoyable but maybe I was doing something incorrectly.
I steeped 1.5 minutes.The added time produced more color and flavor.
Right away my mouth tingled…the flavor so much sweeter and richer with juicy goodness. The developed flavor was huge and resembled a pineapple mango with acidity and smooth textural creaminess all in one fruit. This is what makes you want to lay down on a beach and take a nap.

One thing that I have to comment on is that of all the Oolongs I’ve had thus far, this one tastes far different than any other. It just does not taste like the Chinese Oolongs. No orchid flowery taste. It is much more delicate and I fear that I am not trained to understand this tea. I am under-educated and too young in the tea life.

I am so appreciative of the opportunity to taste this tea and thank FONG MONG TEA!

Ooh, can’t wait!

Bonnie

Remember these flavors are muted delicate whispers not like oolongs I’ve had before.

Scatterbrain

I enjoy trying to find the delicate flavors. I think the degree to which you perceive delicate flavors depends a lot on the mood you’re in, in certain states of mind your senses are more heightened, y’know?

TeaBrat

Nice! I do like a good oriental beauty oolong.

ScottTeaMan

Bonnie, you sound like you need a nap on a beach after that tea experience! =))

Bonnie

I did go to the beach yesterday. There’s a gorgeous 7.5 mile reservoir in the hills behind my house (I could hike a trail up there) with a swim beach. Went with the little ones. My daughter’s 5 cute little boys playing in the water having fun. You can be noiser than my pool! And there’s ROCKS!

Comments

Scatterbrain

Ooh, can’t wait!

TeaBrat

Nice! I do like a good oriental beauty oolong.

ScottTeaMan

Bonnie, you sound like you need a nap on a beach after that tea experience! =))

Colorado Grandma