drank Anniversary Blend by Harney & Sons

Slàinte!•[ slanj’-uh; often shortened to slanj ] (To your) Health!

I’ve been away for a couple of days at the Scottish Games in Estes Park, CO with my beloved daughter Annalisa and we had a great time!

Thank you to ashmanra for this tea sample!

The mountain air was refreshing the last few days. 70’s in the daytime and high 40’s at night with a drizzle late yesterday afternoon for a short time. I watched mist rise in wisps above the 14,000 ft mountain peaks, sweeping higher and higher like silken threads forming into clouds by force of nature.

How could I observe such beauty and stand.

When I hear the bagpipes play in such a setting as this, I feel as though all the breath inside of me goes out with the piper into the instrument and the cry goes forth…“Here we are, mere humans in the middle of this beauty and we give all our strength in this breath as a gift.”

Yes, I’m a sentimental Scot! I had my dram of whiskey too with the Clan Cameron Men looking fine in their Kilts!

On to today’s tea!

I was getting a bit sleepy this afternoon so I made a pot of tea. I followed the instructions for brewing temp. and time, then took a little sip. WOW, this was a STRONG cup of tea! I wasn’t expecting such an extremely potent brew!
Not only was the tea dark and strong, but it was on the bitter side.
“What’s this?”
“Maybe this is one of those tea’s very particularly suited to milk and/or sugar,” I said to myself.
Not wasting time, I added some milk and found the tea much more palatable. Then I added sweetening, then more and more until it was exactly to my liking. (This tea took more additions that any other tea in my memory).

The flavor was malty with a little raisin taste, and brisk. With no additions the tea is bitter like a strong espresso.
The wet leaves had the aroma of cinnamon bark (not sweet cinnamon) with a hint of vanilla.

I liked the heaviness of the brew for a morning cuppa. You could really go to town with any type of additions and not overdo it.

When the tea cools down, the malty flavor mellows and becomes more cocoa. You can leave your cup, let it cool, then come back and there is the cocoa taste you may have wanted in the beginning.

A h-uile la sona dhuibh
’s gun la idir dona dhuibh! May all your days be happy ones!

ashmanra

Yes, I, like tunes&tea, am an astringency weenie. I give this one a short steep and a lower temp and I love it that way plain! It is too strong for me otherwise!

Bonnie

I’m 1 up on tunes and tea since I doubt I’ll find bagpipes noted in the tasting notes there! Only crazy me goes to the far out places! (Maybe our new harpist Steepster too will…who knows?)

ashmanra

I went to the Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain many years ago. I was pretty horrified when they announced the sheep toss. Fortunately I found out pretty quickly it was actually the “sheaf” toss.

Bonnie

Very funny. Men in kilts is what I like! There was a Camel Corps from Arizona (WWI Desert Troop reenactment) and Clydesdale’s and Jousting competition etc.

Terri HarpLady

Welcome back, Bonnie! I’m so glad you had a wonderful time, the Scottish games sound awesome, as does the Anniversary blend! I tend to like my tea a little strong, so I’ll have to give this one a try sometime.

Bonnie

Thanks, oops I just shrunk myself into a little Rocky Mt. Picture. I look better at half pinky nail height.

Azzrian

Welcome home!

Comments

ashmanra

Terri HarpLady