drank Congou Keemun by Butiki Teas

Maybe I’m the only person who has had a negative experience with a tea and then avoided all the tea’s like it from that point on. But, I don’t think that’s the case.
I’ll bet you that most of us have a tea or two that we go blech…and that’s it for us. It could have been a Pu-erh, or a Lapsang Souchong, or a Black Tea or Rooibos. Whatever it was we didn’t like that one tea and mercy be, just like a child with cough medicine, I AIN’T GONNA DRINK ANY MORE!
My ’ain’t gonna drink any more’ was Keemun. I had one from a great tea company that curled my hair and my toes and made me shiver in a bad way. BLECH! No thank you please!

Time passed. Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Sun Up and Sun Down.

A little over a week ago, I was looking at Butiki Tea’s and saw the Keemun’s (shiver). I trusted Stacy’s taste in tea. Hum. “I’m no whimp, afraid of a tea. I should give Keemun Tea one more try,” I said to myself. So I ordered this Congou Keemun.

Whatever possessed me? But OK, I could do this.

I made a whole POT of tea, careful NOT to over-steep (3 minutes).
The liquor was dark and savory but sweet smelling without a heavy maltiness.
I opened the lid on the teapot and really smelled the tea full force. Wow! Gravy! Steak and mushrooms! I couldn’t wait to taste the tea!
My first gulp was sweet! That was unexpected! Then tingling, slightly malty, floral flavors rose from the savory base playfully weaving around melding and separating at the finish.
There was smoothness and no astringency in every phase of tasting, and the body of this tea was higher than medium weight(which was best for additions).

I added a bit of sweetening and cream which was not only delightful but the additions didn’t HIDE the flavors in the tea.

As the tea cooled, the floral taste became an almost bergamot flavor.

This experience was nothing like my first Blech Keemun many months ago. This Keemun tasted great!

Stacy and Butiki changed my mind!

The point, try another brand or another type of tea to see if you like it a different way. All Lapsang Souchongs and Pu-erh’s and Keemun’s are not equal. Find someone who you trust or who knows about that type of tea and ask for advice. Try again and see what you think.

I liked this Keemun! It’s complex and has some of the characteristics that I remember loving in wine (yes WINE) when I worked for Fortino’s Winery back in 2003. Savory mushroom and floral notes with levels of flavor that are earthy and bright at the same time. Really nice!

Lesli

This is a fabulous post, bonnie! I love your descriptions – I feel like I embarked on this journey again!

I will have to try this keemun – mushroom and floral? Sounds absolutely fabulous.

Lesli

I meant to say with you instead of again. :)

Bonnie

It’s ok Leslie, I do that kind of thing all the time with you and again.

Butiki Teas

I’m glad you found a Keemun that you like! Keemuns were one of the first teas that I became obsessed with.

TeaBrat

I’m not generally a fan of keemuns either. Oh Stacy, you could add this to my order I just placed. ;-)

ashmanra

I had a Keemun or two that really turned me off, then I found some that I LURVED! So I understand what you mean completely.

Indigobloom

that was me and the Pu! silly creme de menthe…

Comments

Lesli

Lesli

I meant to say with you instead of again. :)

Bonnie

It’s ok Leslie, I do that kind of thing all the time with you and again.

Butiki Teas

TeaBrat

ashmanra

Indigobloom

that was me and the Pu! silly creme de menthe…

Colorado Grandma