drank Laoshan Genmaicha by Verdant Tea

I’ve already written one review of this lovely tea, one where I was happily sipping it. Drinking the sweet and savory green bean and roasty rice deliciousness.

I couldn’t resist the next step. COOKING WITH TEA!

I’m always fiddling around in the kitchen with tea, mostly steeping, steaming, making a marinade or sauce of some sort.
(I have a few holiday goodies up my sleeve that I’m working on for gift giving…ho ho ho).

Tonight the lightbulb went off ‘bing’ when I decided to cook some tilapia in the oven. My usual method is stove-top but I had been considering a butter and Laoshan Genmaicha sauce to poach the fish in and just went with it.
All I added was a little sea salt and ground pepper when it was done.

I steeped 4 oz. tea 2 minutes then put in 1TB unsalted butter.
When the butter was melted, I poured the tea mixture over the salted fish and then into a hot 350F oven until the liquid was almost gone and the fish was flaky.

While the fish was cooking, I infused some Verdant Zhu Rong in a little Clover Honey, strained the tea leaves out and added a little unsalted butter to make a glaze. I pan cooked carrot spears adding the honey/tea glaze towards the end and cooking further until the carrots were caramelized.

A few minutes before the fish was done I put a handful of fresh spinach on top of the fish to steam.

How did it taste?

IT"S ALL GONE! I ATE IT ALL UP!

Play with tea! Butters, sauces, honey…it’s easy to do.

I mixed a bit of this brewed Genmaicha last week with some butter and poured it over spaghetti squash…then topped it with a little cheese…oh my…yes! Just a little pat of butter in the tea and it stretched through the whole dish making it rich and YUM!

I know this is a different sort of review but it’s still about our passion… TEA!

Ze_Teamaker

Zhu Rong as a glaze sounds awesome! It is just so velvety, spicy and wood like.

fleurdelily

Whoa! I think Steepster needs a cooking section, that’s brilliant!

Claire

That sounds delicious! I really like making tea eggs myself, as I eat a lot of hard boiled eggs anyways.

Bonnie

Yum tea eggs. My daughters hens got old and stopped laying, (They’re in the freezer now…soup hens)…she’ll get younger chickens in the Spring. I hope nobody makes soup out of me! EEKS! I’m a really old hen!

Skulleigh

Yum. I need to try cooking with tea more often.

Comments

Ze_Teamaker

Zhu Rong as a glaze sounds awesome! It is just so velvety, spicy and wood like.

fleurdelily

Whoa! I think Steepster needs a cooking section, that’s brilliant!

Claire

Bonnie

Skulleigh

Yum. I need to try cooking with tea more often.

Colorado Grandma