Thank you mrmopar for this sample tea!

I gave this pu-erh a real good tasting at several steep times. Shorter at first as I usually do (30 seconds), then increasing to a minute and longer still after a few steepings.

The flavor was very, very mild at first. I thought there was something wrong…maybe I needed to rinse this puerh more than one time to open it up.

I poked my puerh knife at the rough bark, encouraging the breakdown of the leaves and more contact with the boiling water.

The tea was still bland.

I increased the steep time. 1 minute, then more after that.

Finally, I had to admit that this was one mild, mellow puerh that was just going to be what it was.

The flavor was juniper berry, (a little on the sour side) not very sweet and smooth. I didn’t find complexity or texture.

Too light a tea for additions too.

Blah

Azzrian

I agree that it is certainly not all that complex. I think this would be an excellent starter pu-erh though. It seems to be very mild as you said but I enjoyed it a bit more than you did. Bonnie I think you have just had so many amazing pu-erh that your jaded lol – I did not mean that as an insult – just jealous of your pu-erh stash :) <3

Kashyap

complex or no..its discovered a new life in your words and hopefully can find a way to express if properly stored away and allowed to mature..if not, then the previous hands who stored it perhaps did it a disservice and it has crushed the living heart of the pu erh…give it a home in an unglazed, ceramic pot and let it sit in a cool, site with consistent temps and airflow and see if it doesn’t transform in a few years

Bonnie

The owner of the beeng (probably has more than one) is aging this better than I can in this dry Colorado climate (which is better for oolongs than puerh unless I get a humidor!) I’m going to try my sample again though because sometimes one day is not enough of a tasting session. Azzrain is right that I’ve had lots of pu-erh and might be jaded…used to stronger pu-erh than this. I need to get some unglazed ceramic pots. I had a resource and can’t find it…erk!

Comments

Azzrian

Kashyap