drank Formosa Oolong by Kally Tea

I smoked my own tea! (In the culinary sense of the word smoked)

I had tasted some smoked oolong recently and when my Camerons Stovetop Smoker arrived (a present from my brother) along with 5 types of wood chips, I made a plan to smoke some tea.

There were no instructions for smoking tea of course. I had been unable to find anything online other than Lapsang Souchong smoked with Pine.
That’s all, and of course no ‘how to’ included.

I chose Alder wood because it’s mild, and placed a half ounce of tea on some foil that I had poked holes in so that the smoke could freely come up through the leaves. One quick sprinkle of water and I began the smoking process.
8 minutes later, I was done.

Today, I took my packet of regular Kally Formosa Oolong and the Alder Smoked version for a tasting at Happy Lucky’s Tea House.

Joe set up 2 Gaiwans and a row of white (regular oolong) cups and a row of brown (smoked oolong) cups for tasting.

The consensus was that the smoked tea was pretty good for a first attempt, not harsh like many Lapsang Souchongs and not like anything anyone had tasted before (not in a bad way or great way but something in between). George (the owner) liked it, and we went over how to make the flavor better and which tea’s to pair with the wood chips (cherry, oak, hickory, apple, pecan, bourbon, mesquite).

Why would I do this in the first place?

I tried to find some culinary smoked tea and couldn’t find any.
Now I’m making my own. I make rubs and steaming potions out of tea and herbs but the Lapsang Souchong was a bit strong. Now I’ll have some options. When I’m finished with this project, I might have some samples to send out!

I’ve started to roll with this….and I’m having some fun!

Terri HarpLady

What a fun project, Bonnie! It just proves that there is always another adventure to be had!

awesome! that’s pretty fun :) someday i’ll be as adventurous as you, but until then…living vicariously through you works too!

Indigobloom

LOL when I saw your title, this is what I immediately thought of (scroll down for the video). Then I realized you meant smoking it like a lapsang!! haha

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Sounds yummy! :) I’ve smoked my own tea as well. If you’re interested in some tips, message me. I’ve got a few different methods that work pretty well.

Invader Zim

I love that you are so experimental with your teas!

yssah - Love is Tea (LIT)

hm, how did it turn out Bonnie? :)

like that vid, indigobloom ^^

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Okay, that’s crazy neat, Bonnie. I look forward to reading how further batches turn out.

Comments

Terri HarpLady

Indigobloom

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Invader Zim

I love that you are so experimental with your teas!

yssah - Love is Tea (LIT)

hm, how did it turn out Bonnie? :)

like that vid, indigobloom ^^