Thank you JC for this generous Sample Sheng!

I took a look at the review by Amy Oh and JC before my own preparation this morning. Amy’s was a 20-30 second steep time and JC’s was short 2 seconds…increasing gradually like Ravel’s Bolero.

I ’m choosing to play a little between the lines.

After one rinse. I steeped an even amount of leaf to water in my Gaiwan (5 grams leaf to 5 oz water) for 12 seconds.
The flavor was savory like artichoke, just short of bitter and thick at the back of the throat.
As I moved back from the glass cup, I noticed a strong wild honey scent and put my nose back to the glass cup.
The scent wasn’t there.
When I went back again to the cup, the honey returned.
I held the cup and moved it around in front of me…the wafting aroma of wild honey magically perfuming the air. Tea magic. Look for this!

My second steep at 10 seconds was dry but had the same big flavor and umami finish.

I lowered the timing down further to 6 seconds and lowered the temperature to 170 degrees. Not so good of an experiment. The tea was too bitter, blech.

Back to boiling water I went, and a 20 second steep (which was where Amy Oh liked it).
Now the flavor was herb butter, savory and sweet. Delicious, rich Umami! Full and substantial with the lingering after the swallow that we wait for…and want for.
(Made me think of having a grilled steak with herb butter. Even the liquor looked like melted golden clarified butter!)

This Sheng is delicious!

Some young Shengs are harsh, too smoky, too one note.
This (don’t kill me JC) is like a good Gyokuro.

Mellow!

Thanks JC

JC

Glad you like it. I like this Bulang because its an Early Spring picking it can be mellow and complex. But it IS a Bulang, so Strong Bitter/Floral and astringency can be achieved.

Bonnie

Did you smell the honey when you drew away from it? Did you get shocked at the gyokuro or did you know what I meant?

JC

LOL! I know what you mean! That’s why I love early Spring Sheng! I wish I had more of that Kong Shan from Zhi Zheng. THAT one was PURE honey. I love smelling the tea and the tea ‘caramel’ that thickening left over in the serving pitcher after a pour.

We’re nerds!

mrmopar

Ha i think i fit in this crowd!

Yes indeed!

Comments

JC

We’re nerds!

mrmopar

Ha i think i fit in this crowd!

Yes indeed!