Thank you Wanya Tea for this sample!

The only small scale Kenyan tea’s I’ve tasted have come from Butiki, Ajiri and Wanja Tea’s.

Each have been different and delightful.

My friends who have spent some time in Kenya have winced and groaned describing the super, hyper-strong brewed tea. (I would have joined in with glee since the Ajiri Strong Tea tasted quite normal to me, but seems far too strong to many others.)

I haven’t reviewed tea on Steepster in DAYS! I’ve been making Asian Pickles (sweet and savory) and Vadouvan Indian Spice Blend (Curried onions and garlic which is slowly baked in a mixture of spices until almost dry. Stored in freezer bags I’ll have a good supply for adding to recipes!).

There is no way I could review tea with onion, garlic and vinegar scenting my house!

As a first tea after my cooking projects were completed, I chose this tea from Kenya, figuring that it was probably suitable for accompanying flavorful, spicy foods. (Kenyan Cuisine uses lot’s of curries!).

The flavor was bright and clean with fruit and citrus, a sweetness that was light and smooth. I didn’t taste any malt and there was no nasty astringency.

You could very well drink this tea plain (which you can’t say about many black tea’s) and I found that a little sweetening brought out the fruitiness in a way that I liked best. Adding milk seemed too heavy. The body of the tea was light and in my opinion, milk isn’t needed.

There was an aftertaste of black pepper pound cake. This made me think further of what the tea would taste good alongside. I imagined a Denver Omlette, Chips and Salsa, Curry or Spicy Sausages. It can handle flavor packed food without getting lost!

Although the tea isn’t heavy, it’s sturdy enough and holds it’s own.
One of those indispensable tea’s when you can’t decide what to serve with a meal.

Very enjoyable tea!

(Although I haven’t been rating tea’s, it’s my choice to do so now and then. Since this company has 2 tea’s…I chose to rate the tea.)

Missed you round here Bonnie!! I love Kenyan teas with milk

Terri HarpLady

Me too! I haven’t been reading reviews as much recently, & finally had time to sit around & read yesterday & I was like, “Where the hell is Bonnie?” :D
Anyway, by coincidence, I’m sipping down samples again today, & this tea just happens to be in my cup as we speak!

Bonnie

Hi guys, you can understand that someone who is highly scent sensitive just can’t drink tea and review honestly with onions and garlic and vinegar etc. all over the place! Every time I opened the frig my pickles POW! were aging overnight but now I can bottle um up! Oh and I made French Onion Soup too. (May as well since onions were being cut up BY HAND!!! (No processor!). The results are great though!

Indigobloom

Of course! I hope you still had a cup of tea though :)

Bonnie

Yes but it was called choco pu…puerh with chocolate hulls from Happy Luckys that you can taste no matter what you’re cooking.

Indigobloom

Oh chocolate tea!! I’ve been looking for a good one. Here’s hoping Happy Luckys goes online soon!

Comments

Indigobloom

Missed you round here Bonnie!! I love Kenyan teas with milk

Terri HarpLady

Indigobloom

Of course! I hope you still had a cup of tea though :)

Colorado Grandma