Thank you to Ze_Teamaker for sharing this ‘windfall’ tea with me!

My flavor imagination was quivering with anticipation when Ze_Teamaker let me know this tea was on the way through the Postal System.

I’m a big fan of Laoshan Black…cocoa and bread, malt and light black pepper (sometimes). Genmaicha isn’t a tea I sit down and drink. I cook with genmaicha.
For whatever reason, a savory tea makes me hungry and I begin thinking up recipes…invariably ending up in the kitchen cooking (and eating).

When the tea arrived, I took it to share with Joe at the tea shop.

We drank a little over half the sample, enjoying the tea without talking much.

What I loved was the classic sweet Laoshan Black up front, no genmaicha flavor at all, and then at the back of my mouth…rice.
Smooth genmaicha rice with a very long finish pushed by the bread flavor of the Laoshan Black.

This was like drinking two tea’s, one sweeter and one savory. (A nice surprise)

I couldn’t help dreaming (as I do) about what I would create with the Genmaicha in my kitchen.

When I arrived at my home, I began to experiment.
I infused some rice wine vinegar with the Genmaicha, hoping to create an interesting flavor. The idea was good, but the vinegar needed to be lighter and I needed more tea to infuse more flavor.
(The sweet, cocoa malty Laoshan Black and Minnisota Rice would make a great infusion!)

Here’s hoping Verdant will release this blend! I’d like more!

ashmanra

I have yet to really try genmaicha. Must get around to that soon!

TastyBrew

This sounds amazing. I want this in my mug. Now. :-)

Bonnie -

David mentioned in another tasting note that he’s seriously considering releasing it (or was it that he’s going to…) when his shipment of laoshan black arrives so yay!

Bonnie

Oh good!

Comments

ashmanra

I have yet to really try genmaicha. Must get around to that soon!

TastyBrew

This sounds amazing. I want this in my mug. Now. :-)

Bonnie -