Thanks to Claire for this Sample Tea!

It’s a beautiful Spring-like morning…one of those throw open the window beginnings that lift the spirit. I rummaged past my boots and the ever-ready close-toe shoes of Winter to find ‘SANDALS’!

It’s inspiring to make tea in a Gaiwan on such a day.

I’ve become obsessed with warming my Gaiwan with boiling water, dumping the water out…then putting the tea leaves in to sit with the lid on for a minute.

What comes from this one step of preparation is tea seduction. It is what leads to wanting the tea so much that you can hardly contain yourself.

The next step was actual steeping which was short.

When I smelled the scent of the leaves they were fruity and sweet, but soon changed to the aroma of light curry. Going back to check the scent later, I could still smell the curry resting in the leaves.

The flavor was roasted freestone peach with the tang of guava membrillo. (Another way to discribe it would be the taste of peach leather and plum if you’re not familiar with membrillo?)
Sweet and tangy, luscious and smooth with a dripping honey quality to it.

Ah, the color in my glass cup. I had almost forgotten.
Polished brass flickering in candle-light. It reminded me of looking into a stream on a bright Summer day with the sun reflecting back glints and sparkles of gold.

This was a worthy tea, a Big Red Robe without the cinder taste that some dark roasts have. No burned flavor or smoke, just smooth stone-fruit and juice.

Rie

Loved the mental images I got from reading about your morning, Bonnie ~ Sandals ready for spring strolling!

K S

Your stories make me wish I had a tea set – table and all. Some day.

I have been thinking about trying a small teacup and using the saucer as a lid. I don’t know if this would give the same effect as a gaiwan and really I’m not sure how much I would gain over my single serve press method. I just really like the idea and art of it.

Bonnie

Well, you know that David Duckler has a video of how to use a teacup as a gaiwan on his website or maybe it’s the verdant youtube. Anyway…no need to run out and buy a gaiwan! The gaiwan I use cost $10 and my most expensive one $18 (but I buy in shop so no shipping).

K S

I am looking but I don’t see the video. Point me in the right direction.

Bonnie

KS you can find it easy on facebook looking down a bit at improvisational gonfu with cups and saucers (which I like better than what’s on Verdant TV). Cup, saucer as lid and voila. (I should make a video! called the grandma’s guide to tea since if I can do it my way…well…you get the message. Poke that Puer, steep them leaves!)

Comments

Rie

K S

Your stories make me wish I had a tea set – table and all. Some day.

K S

I am looking but I don’t see the video. Point me in the right direction.

Colorado Grandma