Most people have never tasted Yak Butter Tea made with REAL Yak milk, myself included. So I was very interested when my Steepster friend ‘Roughage’ (who lives in England) sent me a notice that Yunnan Sourcing had just added a salty and sweet versions of real Yak Butter Tea! We had discussed the real taste before, because he had some on a visit to China.
One problem for me is that Yunnan Sourcing has huge shipping costs.
There is however, a Yunnan Sourcing US website that’s way less expensive to order from, so I checked to see if the new tea was available there.

I emailed a note…and received a prompt reply from Scott Wilson:

OK… I will eventually offer it on the US site. Thanks for your feedback!
- Scott

Hooray!!

No review of Yak Butter tea on Steepster yet, but an encouraging note that a vendor is willing to supply customers with the tea they want to drink because we ask. This is good to remember.

If you’re in Europe, these two varieties are available now, sweet and salty, for $6.50 a box U.S. Let us know if you try it!

I’ll be waiting for a note from Yunnan U.S. when it’s available!

JustJames

an awesome effort on the part of the vendor….. though i would sniff it alot before actually tri it. yak butter. hmmm.

Bonnie

I like the cow’s milk version and my friends who have had it in China say Yak milk is a little bitter but not much. (A lady friend was in a yurt about a year ago and drank several large bowls so it must be ok).

mrmopar

I have wanted to try this too. I need to get Scott’s email as a few things on the Chinese site I would love if they carried it on the US site.

Bonnie

All I did was send a regular contact note on the Yunnan Sourcing US site and he responded. Let him know you talked to me so that he knows the Steepsters are communicating with each other about the vendors!

mrmopar

Thanks Bonnie, I will email him!

Ag

Wow, never thought I’d see yak butter tea here on Steepster! I had it about eight years ago when I went to Tibet with my uncle and cousins and really enjoyed it. I remember it was very rich and almost reminded me of goat’s milk (it’s been a while since I’ve had either, so my memory might be off). The last time I heard about it was three years ago, when my intro to cultural anthropology professor talked about his research in Tibet. I’m definitely going to have to try some of this if it becomes available on the US site!

Bonnie

You can get this on EBAY but I’ll wait for Yunnan Sourcing US to carry both kinds.

Comments

JustJames

mrmopar

Thanks Bonnie, I will email him!

Ag