drank Doke Silver Needle by Butiki Teas

Thank you Stacy for this lovely sample tea!

I’ve been absent but busy lately tasting tea’s that aren’t ready for Steepster yet for a couple people, spent a little time with grandson Micah cooking vegetables, (he loves Brussel Sprouts!) and I went to a Native American Pow Wow at the University Saturday. ( a free local event http://youtu.be/65uifoEUMAw my homemade video)

I had just drifted off to sleep last night when there was a huge flash of light and loud explosion of thunder…bang! Hail then snow (it had rained during the evening briefly).

This morning there was fog and snow on the ground (which will melt quickly) so I made cauliflower alfredo and froze batches of the sauce for later. Here’s the link if you want to try the recipe. It’s not vegan, but it can be adapted. http://ahealthytreat.com/2013/09/26/cauliflower-alfredo-sauce/

After clean-up, I remembered that I had this tea from Stacy! I love Silver Needle and my friend Eric went “WOW” when he saw that it was ‘Doke’.

When you touch the leaves they feel like the softest velvet, remarkably delicate… slender, long strands that become longer and fatten up when wet. Beautiful olive green leaves with copper!

I placed the tea in my smallest Gaiwan, steeped a very short time at 180 degrees.

The aroma was a combination of bosc pear skin, honeysuckle, nutmeg and saffron.

I made a sweet cream white sauce yesterday, into which I grated fresh nutmeg. It was a rich and delicious sauce, delicate… without being too spicy. (the sauce became the base for stuffed Greek Zucchini)
When I tasted the Doke Silver Needle, I thought of sweet cream sauce I made the day before. Somehow, the connection between both sweet and savory, spice and tea came together. I love the combination.

I went to Butiki’s website to add this tea to Steepster and was surprised that my taste experience was so different than Stacy’s description. Maybe another time I’ll taste something different.

Tea is an ever-changing experience and Silver Needle is a tea that always takes me on a journey.

‘Doke’ Silver Needle Tea is complex and full flavored.

An exquisite tea!

Butiki Teas

Bonnie-That recipe would be very easy to vegan-ize and looks so delicious!

I am not at all surprised that your experience was quite different than our tasting note. To me, this tea can taste completely different depending on how its brewed. This is probably the only tea that I actually prefer western style because the malt notes come out a bit more this way.

Bonnie

I saved the bulk of the sample to taste with friends so I’ll try it Western Style next time. Thanks Stacy!

Butiki Teas

Bonnie-Great! I would love to know if you find it to taste substantially different depending on brewing style. Maybe its just me.

Bonnie

It’s always you Stacy, just sayin!

Hahaha. When in doubt, its probably me. :D

Comments

Butiki Teas

Bonnie-That recipe would be very easy to vegan-ize and looks so delicious!

Bonnie

It’s always you Stacy, just sayin!

Hahaha. When in doubt, its probably me. :D