Thanks to Angrboda for this sample!

Up until now, the Golden Monkey tea’s that I’ve tried have been disappointing. Somewhat average tea’s that are malty but lacking the cocoa taste that I can easily get with other Fujian Black tea’s.

Although Angrboda commented that the aroma wasn’t very fragrant, my less than petite nose perked up right away. I noticed more than cocoa coming from the dry leaves. There was a sweet brown sugar candy scent that smelled delightful (like walking into an old fashioned candy store).

Prior tastings of ‘other’ Golden Monkey tea’s left me with the rather odd aftertaste of super dark baking molasses.

This Jenier Fujian tea was mild light brown sugar, cocoa and caramel. Smooth, gentle and with enough body for adding milk.

I can see why this tea is a favorite of Angrboda on a cold day in Denmark!

Terri HarpLady

mmmm, that sounds tasty!

Angrboda

It is quite lovely, I’m glad you liked it. Husband has quite fallen for it as well, which is always a pleasant surprise. I can never predict what teas he likes and what he doesn’t. Take cocoa-notes for example. He’ll LOVE it in one tea and find it super astringent in another, where I will think the two teas in question are highly similar and almost interchangable. Some Ceylons he even says reminds him mostly of tomato soup. I’ve stopped trying. He’ll just have to live with being the guinea pig, then. Generally though, whenever a tea develops a nick name, it means he loves it. This one is Molten Gunkey, which admittedly doesn’t sound very flattering. :p

Comments

Terri HarpLady

mmmm, that sounds tasty!