drank MateVana by Teavana

OK, so now I’m learning about the love/hate relationship many tea sippers have with Teavana, and I’m realizing also that I did a darn good job at squeezing good deals from the company during their after-holiday sale. This one, which is usually pretty cheap, I got for $1.45 for a packet. Yay!

Anyway, this is my first foray into the world of mate, and since I was nervous (yes, I’m a mate wuss), I only put enough mate into my 12 oz. cup for an 8 oz. cup. I didn’t want it to be too strong! Well, it sure as heck wasn’t. I added my hot (not boiling, as is what I’ve been told) water, waited 6 minutes, then put in 1 teaspoon of sugar. And darn it, the stuff is weak. Now I know, I’ll put in the proper amount of mate next time…

For being weak, it has a nice flavor, so I’m happy to give this another go at its proper strength.

January 18, 2013
Second try. I put enough mate in the cup for 12 oz. but it still wasn’t very strong. Curious what’s up with that. Will try again tomorrow.

January 24, 2013
Well, that was a long “tomorrow.” With the stress of my current nursing class, I had been needing my daily Earl Grey, and just couldn’t substitute that for anything. Yesterday morning, though, I had to get up before the sun and get my butt outside in below-zero weather in order to be at the OR on time (my first OR clinical day!). I knew I needed something highly caffeinated, and wanted to give the mate another shot. I made it strong: two heaping teaspoons for my 12 oz. cup, brewed my water hot to boiling, and let the stuff steep a good 6 minutes. It was finally nice and strong, and I felt a good jolt from it that morning. Not sure I’m a huge fan, but the Matevana stuff sure did its duty.

First and foremost, I’m a Mommy to my one-and-only daughter. After that, I’m a full-time student-nurse working on degree number two. Then, I’m a wife, a voracious reader, and a newly minted lover of loose-tea.

All my life I’ve enjoyed herbal teas, but am ready and willing to explore other flavors and concepts.

Being a full-time mom and student, the ritual of brewing and enjoying the subtlety of tea is extremely appealing.

I tend to like strong teas: original chais (not boring “masala chai”) are a big deal for me, and I’m hunting for new ones that can accompany my breakfast. I love EGs, especially EGCs, and I hope to find the perfect one some day. Not a huge fan of tisanes or overly fruity teas. I’m starting to love greens and whites, but only if they’re generous enough in the flavor department: no wimps. I’ve got to say, though, I really do not understand pu-erh (yet?).

80-100
Outta the park: delicious, amazing, a cupboard staple.

65-79
Good tea: not a staple, but would brew and/or buy again if in the mood.

50-64
Fair to good: nothing wrong with the tea, but not particularly interesting or not flavored highly enough.

25-49
Not good: can probably finish the cup, but may not brew again.

0-24