drank Malted ChocoMaté by 52teas

I won this in the 52 teas weekly news letter contest, on my birthday of all weeks to win! I have been wanting to try this tea since I first heard about it so I figured this would be an excellent opportunity to try it out!

Today it came in the mail and I was uber excited to try it plus I was really wanting a caffeine fix! Now I really am not a fan of chocolate teas I just don’t think the flavor can be replicated in a tea. I don’t think they taste bad but I just don’t think they taste like chocolate, but regardless I was very drawn to this tea.

I have never had yerba mate before so I don’t really know what to expect in terms of the base tea. The dry leaves smell mildly like the heath bar tea I have from 52 teas but with a little less of that protein bar scent. Also I swear… I know this is weird, but it smells like fig newtons.

Once the tea is steeped I am getting occasionally whiffs that really smell strongly of chocolate (like a chocolate syrup kind of chocolate). However it tastes again like figs. Which isn’t a bad flavor at all. In fact I throughly enjoyed this tea, but I am tasting more figs then chocolate. When I have milk in my fridge again I am definitely gonna try this both with a splash of milk and as a latte with a little bit of chocolate syrup for sweetener. I greatly look forward to experimenting with this tea.

Boiling 8 min or more
Caitlin

Forgot to rate this – whoops.