drank Pu-erh loose by Zen Tea

This is my first Pu-erh. I’m a little nervous because people keep saying that it’s fishy.

I steeped it for 50 seconds like the package said, and then gave it a sniff. My immediate reaction? Bleeeach. I actually made a noise out loud and that’s saying something!

First sip? Oh geez. This is super fishy. And it’s thick and seaweedy and so very strange.

A few sips later – I’m not sure if this is for me.

Oh. I didn’t rinse it. So I steeped it again. Less fishy. Still seaweedy, with a darker malty taste. It’s drinkable though.

Maybe it’s an acquired taste? I keep sipping but I doubt I’ll come close to finishing my cup.

It doesn’t seem fair to rate this because I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with it.

Claire

It could be due to how old the tea is. In my (limited) experience, it seems like the younger ripe puerh is, the more fishy it tastes. If the puerh was made in the last year or two it could be fishy still from the cooking process.

Cavocorax

Oh! That’s an interesting idea. Maybe I’ll bury it for 6 months and thentry again!

Comments

Claire

Cavocorax

Yet.

Ratings:
1-50: Bleh.
51-64: It’s ok.
65-75: It’s good.
76-85: It’s very good. (Buy 1oz+)
86-100: Amazing. (ALWAYS re-stock)

Markham, ON