drank Wild Black Yunnan by DAVIDsTEA

Mmmm… Thanks again CrowKettle for getting me to try this tea! :O Now I know I love Yunnan teas. I even over-steeped this one and it was still great, albeit a bit malty. (Sidenote: albeit is a pretty sweet word eh? :P)

So this was a sipdown. I know I’ll need to replace it, but maybe not with this one. I have had better Yunnan’s, although not from companies that are as easy to buy from as DavidsTea. Yunnan reminds me of Zen’s Phoenix Pearls, which reminds me of Verdant’s Laoshan Black. Yunnan is the poor man’s Laoshan Black?

Oh – I’ve spent more time here than I have on facebook/twitter combined. I <3 Steepster!

Tea Sipper

Oh, I love Zen’s Phoenix Pearls way more than Laoshan. I don’t really see a comparison.. the Laoshan seems completely different to me.. maybe I should try another cup.

CrowKettle

I should’ve ordered some Phoenix Pearls when I went to stock up on coconut oolong. Everyone seems to love that tea.

OMGsrsly

I prefer the Phoenix Pearls, probably because they are “laoshan black lite” – less strong, less earthy, less roasty. :) Every time I check, they’re out of stock. Makes me so sad!

Cavocorax

Has anyone found an alternative to Zen’s Phoenix Pearls? Just curious as I thought it was a fairly common type of tea.

Glad I’m not the only one who considers it laoshan-black-lite. :)

CrowKettle – have you tried it at all? I might have enough to send you a sample.

Cavocorax

(I’d send some to OMGsrsly but if you’ve had it before, my meager sample won’t go far!)

OMGsrsly

I have some! I’m just scared of running out and then not being able to find it again. I’ve never seen them offered anywhere else, and took a chance on the tea and love it.

Cavocorax

Yes! I know that feeling! I was hoping to find a replacement too, just because I’ve heard a bit about their poor customer service and I don’t like to support that if I can get the product elsewhere!

Cavocorax

I totally forgot about this tea: http://steepster.com/teas/teavivre/26683-fengqing-dragon-pearl-black-tea. My impression was that it was just as good, if not better, than the Zen Tea.

OMGsrsly

Looks like the phoenix pearls might be an iron goddess. It’s so hard to tell because we don’t have all the information.

those teavivre ones are the ones i am trying to see if i want as a staple…versus teavanas or possibly the other company that nicole recommended

Cavocorax

OMGsrsly -it IS hard. All I know is its made with Yunnan leaves, like the teavivre ones. Ilu Yunnan!

Cavocorax

Sil – I’ll keep an eye out on which one you choose. This should be a staple for non-Laoshan Black days!

CrowKettle

I have yet to try them but I’ll get around to it in a few months.
I still have sample of the Teavivre pearls too, to try.

Comments

Tea Sipper

Cavocorax

Glad I’m not the only one who considers it laoshan-black-lite. :)

CrowKettle

I have yet to try them but I’ll get around to it in a few months.
I still have sample of the Teavivre pearls too, to try.

Yet.

Ratings:
1-50: Bleh.
51-64: It’s ok.
65-75: It’s good.
76-85: It’s very good. (Buy 1oz+)
86-100: Amazing. (ALWAYS re-stock)

Markham, ON