drank Choconut Oolong by DAVIDsTEA

This smells so rich and dark and amazing. I don’t even want to sip it – just smell it all evening. But that would be a waste, wouldn’t it? I only bought 15g of this, which might end up being 2 cups, and that probably won’t be enough, but this one was more expensive than the rest…

First sip? YES. I instantly love this much more than the Coffee Cake. It’s just BAMMM. Rich chocolate and hazelnut and sweet sweetness. I guess there’s oolong under here? Mostly I’m tasting hot liquid nutella with a tiny bit of an odd aftertaste that I can’t identify, but do not mind.

Drat. Now I wish I’d grabbed more than 15g. Suppose that’s move incentive to find high paying work. :P

Anna

Is 5 minutes at boiling your preferred steeping time for oolongs, or is it DT oolongs, or was it just this oolong? I figured it would be quicker to ask than go through all your oolong tasting notes. =)

Cavocorax

I usually do boilings at a little less, but I typically just go by the instructions. It said to steep 5 min at 95, so I thought I’d do what I was told, at least for the first time.

What temp do you usually do it at?

Thank you!

I always follow the instructions, but if it’s a tea sans instructions, I tend to – by default – do it the Lupicia way; full boil at 1.5-2 minutes. Then again, they’re all very green oolongs, so I’d probably reconsider if I stumbled over an unidentified black oolong blend.

OMGsrsly

The aftertaste is the licorice root, btw. It’s kind of sweet, in the front of your mouth? I can’t stand it, sadly, and I had such high hopes for this one.

Cavocorax

Yeah. I ended up not resteeping it, which isn’t the best sign when I only have enough left for one more cup. The hazelnut was just so strong/strange.

Cavocorax

That’s why I don’t rate teas on my first sip. Especially on launch day. I get excitable.

VariaTEA

I picked up about 25 g of this one and a few of the others – I am excited to try it…damn power going out and hindering my tea tasting ability :P

VariaTEA

And I definitely get what you mean about being excitable on launch day…At midnight I was checking out David’s website to see the new flavors

Cavocorax

Hahahah. Yeah I did the same – and then I made a spreadsheet with the prices so I could decide how much of everything to buy beforehand. :)

I just remember buying all the FALL teas and being OMG OMG these are great, and then a few days after was just… oh, why did I say that. /0\ So I’m trying to be cautious.

Amariel

I only wish I’d noticed the licorice in the store before I bought it. I hate licorice, soooo much.

Comments

Anna

Cavocorax

What temp do you usually do it at?

Thank you!

OMGsrsly

Amariel

Yet.

Ratings:
1-50: Bleh.
51-64: It’s ok.
65-75: It’s good.
76-85: It’s very good. (Buy 1oz+)
86-100: Amazing. (ALWAYS re-stock)

Markham, ON